Brewhouse IPA kit time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

learjet

Reaction score
I have made many of the brewhouse kits in the past. I have just recieved word that a friend will be visiting and I don't have any IPA on hand to drink! Is it possible to go from kit to keg between now and next weekend? Say 3 days in primary, rack to secondary and add clearing agents, cold crash and force carb on friday, drink on saturday?

The main factor in the time it takes to get from boil to finished product is alcohol content. If you REALLY want an IPA to be done in 10 days, the best thing you could do would be to start off with a LOW OG.

Aim for an OG of like 1.04 or less, ferment at the yeast's upper range (75-80), 4-5 days in Primary, NO SECONDARY!, skip the clearing, cold crash next Thursday, and force carb at 25-30 for 48 hours. The beer is still going to be fairly green, but everything, including conditioning, goes faster the lower the OG, so it will probably be pretty drinkable in 10 days.

That's jsut the nature of the beast. If you want it to condition quickly, it HAS to be lower alcohol content. No way around it. Cutting down on the OG is the best way to have a good beer in 10 days.

That goes for any style, so maybe you want to look for something more like an APA, blonde, cream ale, etc. with a lower OG.

Do a search for "SESSION IPA" and you should find some good recipes for lower OG IPAs.

i have made many of the brewhouse kits in the past. I have just recieved word that a friend will be visiting and i don't have any ipa on hand to drink! Is it possible to go from kit to keg between now and next weekend? Say 3 days in primary, rack to secondary and add clearing agents, cold crash and force carb on friday, drink on saturday?

no

Back