Brewhemoth conical clean in place (CIP) systems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a question about the pump you listed. I noticed in the specs it was only rated for 18psi but most of the spray balls I've seen are supposed to need 30-60psi. Am I interpreting something wrong?

I don't know much about fluid dynamics. All I can really tell you is that with this particular pump and spray ball combination, there is a ton of cleaning action happening.

I'm sure more pressure wouldn't hurt, but at this scale (the diameter of the brewhemoth is very small) its really already overkill.

That pump won't do for that big of a cip as its only rated for 948GPH, which is about a litre per second. you're going to want a higher flow like 2500+GPH. don't worry about the pressure rating. That's just for head pressure, and you shouldn't have much with an open flow cip ball.

The temp rating is important too. high heat sump pumps aren't cheap though unfortunately. here's mine : http://www.libertypumps.com/Products/Category/SubCategory/Product/?p=55&s=4&c=14

Yeah, definitely getting pricey, but at least it looks cheaper than the freezer and all the fittings that I have to sneak into the house for these things. :)

FYI, 104 degrees F is equal to 40 degrees C, which I have seen listed on many pumps as the Max Ambient Temp rating. This has nothing to do with the fluid passing through the pump. It refers to the max ambient temp (room temp) allowable in order to still achieve proper cooling for the electric motor. That seems like a standard Max Ambient Temp for many of the pumps I have seen that pump up to 250 deg F fluid.

FYI, 104 degrees F is equal to 40 degrees C, which I have seen listed on many pumps as the Max Ambient Temp rating. This has nothing to do with the fluid passing through the pump. It refers to the max ambient temp (room temp) allowable in order to still achieve proper cooling for the electric motor. That seems like a standard Max Ambient Temp for many of the pumps I have seen that pump up to 250 deg F fluid.

Best to confirm with the pump manufacturer just in case.

Agreed there is almost nothing that should or can be assumed when it comes to specing out pumps. Unless you get into higher dollar pumps most don't go over 120-150F range. You can run higher but expect the pump to fail sooner.

Yes, that's a bad pump. I considered it as well, but since it's not rated for the temps we need, it will likely bleed oil/grease into your equipment.

My mechanical seal pump is still serving me well, but it's beginning to show rust inside the casing since it isn't stainless.

anthropod said:
Pumps, Pumps, Pumps... that's the area I am most conceded with. Like most folks, I want to spend no more money than I need to. I want a pump that will last and that will do the job for the lease amount of cost. Is this a bad pump? http://www.amazon.com/Wayne-PLS100-Portable-Sprinkling-Stainless/dp/B0002YVPSK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1381409933&sr=8-2&keywords=watts+stainless+pump

Last edited by a moderator:
I ended up getting a March AC-5B-MD off ebay after having a long conversation with Walter. It was the only pump really capable of doing the job for a price that wasn't completely ridiculous and I wouldn't have to worry about replacing it later because it's cheap or some component inside can't handle the temps or chemicals. I can and have run caustic and acid through here.

Here is how I do my CIP:

This has worked brilliantly because I never have to make a hose change to rinse and it gets all of my blowoff plumbing as well. The only thing it will not take care of is the plate chiller which is that contraption I have laying off to the side made of PVC that I built.

I use a superior submersible which is thermoplastic and it works great.

You have a link for that? I currently just fill the conical with hot water and PBW and let it work its magic for a few days, but I'd love to get a pump involved and save water.

i threw the spec sheet away so im not 100% but i run it with tap water as hot as itll go (water heater is turned up all the way too) and havent had any issues with it

I just purchased the one kosmokramer suggested. Thanks! I'll report back my success when I get it. I have a beer in there right now. (A cherry vanilla porter)
So.. it will need some cleaning in a couple of weeks.

I will also post the spec sheet that comes with it.

Most submersible pumps handle up to about 100-110 degrees. Some have thermal overload for temperatures above that, while others will let you run them hotter but you can expect them to fail prematurely. Usually you'll get a while out of them before it happens. Superior Pumps are the only suitable ones I know of that can run hotter and then its full stainless ones after that that are mega bucks.

That is a nice looking pump - but you do need to be careful with aluminum and certain chemicals (including PBW). This is powder coated so that helps.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X07GQS/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 is what I use and I usually have to throttle back the output. But I use a PVDF drum nozzle not a spray ball. It requires much less pressure.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hadnt even thought about the motor housing being a problem with PBW.......I was worried about the volute. DUH....its a submersible pump!

Hopefully the coating and the fact that its only in contact for a short duration will allow it to live a long healthy life!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1388793741.191558.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1388793781.138247.jpg

So I got the pump today. Specs say 95F

So may not be good. I'm sure I'll abuse it. I'll let folks now how it worked when I get a chance. I have a porter in there right now that could use a week or two more.

Make sure you use hose clamps!!! I didn't and got a face full of water in a split second. I run mine with water as hot as the tap will give it and haven't had any problems, let me know what u think

Wow! Used that pump for the first time. I have a very clean Brewhemoth. Glad clamps were suggested, this thing is a beast. May have even wished I had gotten the less HP one. Pump way faster then return. I may use my butterfly valve for some flow control next time.

It can be, depending on what you use for a sprayer. Most people are use stainless spray balls which require a lot of pressure to operate. The PVDF drum nozzles require much less pressure - and if you stay within the head specs you can get close to that pressure. It is not the most ideal pump, but it can work. One thing that helps is tubing > than the standard 1/2". But it's all about having enough pressure to operate the sprayer effectively.

Back