Brewery Wide Temp Monitoring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jleiii

Reaction score
I've been following, or in some cases stumbling, along with various threads on temperature monitoring for various brewery activities. It seems that most have morphed into control systems since it's easy (for them) to add that feature.

On the off chance I've missed some, are there any out there that have stayed true to monitoring and -locally- web based?

I'm looking to include 5 fermenters (ST1000+), glycol chiller, freezer and yeast fridge, and maybe even brewing (for post brewing analysis). Extra's such as monitoring the compressor cycling on the glycol, freezer and fridge would be nice too. I've seen one that at least touched on the compressor cycling.

If I can find a good baseline, then I can extend it to the other features I'm looking for. The R-Pi seems to be the device of choice, but with a billion hits in a web search I'm not finding that good baseline. For me creating it from scratch would be difficult, but I would imagine I could easily tweak/rework an existing design.

I put together something pretty close to your description. It's rude and epically crude but it supports up to 5 DS18B20 One-Wire temperature probes, has a hook to monitor compressor state, and has a modest web gui.

logger.jpg

In the context of your list, the one caveat is, although it does not rely on external hosting (you host it on your own LAN) it does require internet access to support the Google charting API. That's a dependency I want to get rid of one of these days...

Cheers!

I put together something pretty close to your description. It's rude and epically crude but it supports up to 5 DS18B20 One-Wire temperature probes, has a hook to monitor compressor state, and has a modest web gui.

In the context of your list, the one caveat is, although it does not rely on external hosting (you host it on your own LAN) it does require internet access to support the Google charting API. That's a dependency I want to get rid of one of these days...

Cheers!

Day Tripper, thanks. I did see yours at some point, but did not note it. I'm notorious for surfing along, and forgetting to bookmark or save URLs.

I'm not averse to the google hook for now. I'd like to get to a per sensor display, some day. I think the BrewPi look?
What's the 5 sensor limit?

What's the 5 sensor limit?

The one-wire driver, I believe. At least I seem to recall that was the max it could support.
But I never tested that limit - as it happens five probes was a perfect fit for the keezer...

Cheers!

Day Tripper,
What a DOAH! moment. I'd already downloaded the zip file for reference. I'll report back any updates, but I've yet to purchase the RPi so it may be a while. Certainly looks like a good starting point. Thanks.

Back