Brewery Names: Do they affect your decision?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumboldtBrewer

Reaction score
When traveling, I often check out what breweries are available in the area, especially when in Portland, and I often catch myself clicking on the breweries with clever names, then I look at their reviews second. I have had great beers at breweries with horrible names and atmosphere, and horrible beers at places with great names and atmosphere, and visa versa.

Does having an odd, unusual name for your brewery set you up for less customers?

Do any of you choose breweries to visit based on names or do you strictly go by word of mouth?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I go by "Does this place have beer?" than if it's good come back to the "hey guys this place has good beer". I do see what your saying and it sucks with the hit and miss aspect of the microbrewery.

I don't really like to admit it but a part of my decision when trying new beers is based on the name. A LOT of new breweries are popping up all over the place now, and while you may have a great product the marketing aspect is a huge factor. If someone recommends a beer or I read a review, I will obviously give it a try and not judge the packaging just because I have already been told it is good. When I am at the store browsing and looking through beers I have never seen before, I will be looking at the one with the cool name and logo first. But more along the lines of what you said with the brewery name, if I am traveling out of state and I look up breweries to go to, I will definitely go to the one with the name I like better.

I'd be interested to hear where this thread goes. Me and a friend were serving beer at a homebrew event and one of the beers had a funny name and we got a lot of compliments on that name and people were interested in where it came from, so it was a good conversation starter at least.

It does affect me, but im of the belief that someone who puts effort into selecting a meaningful name, will put atleast that much effort producing a quality beer.

Thats part of the reason why I rarely have the "chain restaurant name" House Ale whenever i go to a restaurant. I find its generic crap.

I'd say the name definitely affects my initial attitude - if it appears that care wasn't put into the name, label design, etc., I am skeptical as to whether care was put into the beer. Remember: commercial brewing isn't just about brewing more beer, it's a business. When I lived in Orlando I would often beer shop at Total Wine, and once while scanning the aisles and aisles of shelves I kept seeing Clown Shoes Beer. I hated the way the name tripped its way along my brain. I even said it aloud and it was even worse, like the name was making my mouth do stretching exercises. But I saw so many different beers by them, so I figured they couldn't be that bad. So I picked up their double brown and read about the name on the label, hoping to find it had some special meaning. Nope! "Clown Shoes" came from a bunch of friends sitting around trying to think of a silly brewery name. Aggravating. As for that double brown? Pass.

TL;DR - Yes, names matter, and in my experience a crap name likely makes a subpar beer.

I'd say the name definitely affects my initial attitude - if it appears that care wasn't put into the name, label design, etc., I am skeptical as to whether care was put into the beer. Remember: commercial brewing isn't just about brewing more beer, it's a business. When I lived in Orlando I would often beer shop at Total Wine, and once while scanning the aisles and aisles of shelves I kept seeing Clown Shoes Beer. I hated the way the name tripped its way along my brain. I even said it aloud and it was even worse, like the name was making my mouth do stretching exercises. But I saw so many different beers by them, so I figured they couldn't be that bad. So I picked up their double brown and read about the name on the label, hoping to find it had some special meaning. Nope! "Clown Shoes" came from a bunch of friends sitting around trying to think of a silly brewery name. Aggravating. As for that double brown? Pass.

TL;DR - Yes, names matter, and in my experience a crap name likely makes a subpar beer.

Kinda funny...clown shoes is a known as a pretty solid brewery up this way...

Does having an odd, unusual name for your brewery set you up for less customers?

Do any of you choose breweries to visit based on names or do you strictly go by word of mouth?

No, the name of a brewery doesn't affect my decision nor do reviews. However, I read reviews of a brewery here and they were spot on. Decent beer but at least two of the owners should never be in front of the customers.

I've never sought out a brewery because of the name, I go simply to try new beers.

I wouldn't steer clear of a beer or brewery with an unusual name as that seems to be a bit of a marketing trend. Otoh, I likely won't buy ingredients or equipment from companies with names lacking any sense of gravitas. Like "Mangrove Jack" yeast...

Cheers!

The only problem I have had with the brewery name affecting my decision to buy is a result of name association. There is a fairly new brewery here in Dallas called Community Beer Company. They make good beer. However, because I've had such negative experiences with Community Coffee around here, it makes it difficult to find the desire to purchase the beer. I my mind always goes to that burnt, muddy mess of cups of coffee that I've had. To me, if you are going to name yourself in this manner, you should do a little research on who else is named similarly and what their reputation is.

I would say generally it does not change my opinion. I have had some great beer from some generically named breweries. With that said there is a brewery in my hometown named big beaver brewing with an appropriate logo. I fealt I had no choice but to try it.

1398363180808.jpg

With the massive amount of breweries in CA I do sometimes go by names. If I'm visiting an area I'm not familiar with and there are several breweries there and I haven't heard anything in particular about any of them I'll often end up at the one with the most unusual name. One of these days I'll make it over to Redlands to hit up Hangar 24 (I'm already a fan of their beers) and I'll probably check out Donkey Punch Brewing, which is just down the street, for no other reason than the name.

I would say generally it does not change my opinion. I have had some great beer from some generically named breweries. With that said there is a brewery in my hometown named big beaver brewing with an appropriate logo. I fealt I had no choice but to try it.

I heard their beer tastes kinda fishy. :p

I also see a lot of breweries catering to the outdoor crowds with names such as Base Camp Brewing, Crux Brewing...and being an outdoorsy person myself, I sometimes gravitate towards those breweries. I wonder if that's pigeon holing yourself into a niche market by just catering to that particular group, bit then again if word catches on, all sorts of people will end up there.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Went to River Rat, the newest brewery in Columbia SC...but almost didnt , just because of the name. I prioritized Conquest brewery because of the medieval theme. In the end, I would say the tap handles at conquest were awesome and the flight trays at River rat were really cool....

Beers at both were *shrug*

I think creative brewers and breweries come up with creative names.

YMMV

and creative brewers/breweries come up with concepts and ideas that don't always click with everyone.

shrug...I guess if you want the generic 50 IBU IPA head on over to Joe's brewhouse after your dinner at Applebee's.

Latest posts

Back