brewers friend water questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zodiak3000

Reaction score
building with distilled im trying to get to 300 ppm of sulfate for an IPA. i notice when i get above adding 10 grams of gypsum it will not let me decimal any numbers (ex. 12.2). so, im at 12 grams which gives me 295 ppm of sulfate. close, but im guessing i need about 12.2 to get to 300 ppm. not a big deal, but it would be frustrating if i was trying to calculate 350 ppm of sulfate or something else. any way around this with the decimal? also, how much is too much calcium? im at 145 calcium, with 295 sulfate and 38 chloride.

Your calcium level is nearing the top end, I prefer under 100 but thats just me. As for the sulphate level, you don't need to be exact, 350, 360, close enough.

Also, is this just mash additions? Try using sparge or kettle additions too. I just opened up a saved file and could input 12.8 and it worked fine. Maybe its your browser or platform.

Your calcium level is nearing the top end, I prefer under 100 but thats just me. As for the sulphate level, you don't need to be exact, 350, 360, close enough.

Also, is this just mash additions? Try using sparge or kettle additions too. I just opened up a saved file and could input 12.8 and it worked fine. Maybe its your browser or platform.

i typically treat both mash and sparge water the same. since im using 2 different pots (1 for mash 1 for sparge) i calculate them separate, but try to achieve the same numbers of ppm in total from additions, then add them before i start brewing so all of my water is treated the same. since i batch sparge, is this ok? or would you treat just all the mash? i start with distilled and build. <sorry for the separate question

also, yes that was all calculated mash additions for 6 gallons of water. huh thats weird, i tried 3 different browsers and got that same result. when i try to adjust any "brewing salt additions" i cant get past 10 with a decimal.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/water-chemistry/

Latest posts

Back