Brewer's Friend software - How incorporate post boil top up - All grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GPNewBrew

Reaction score
All,

After many extract brews, going to be starting my first all grain brew shortly, and have a question on how to set up my recipe in Brewer's friend. I am starting with 2.5 gallon batch size primarily because I am limited on boil size due to my Gigawort electric brew kettle (4.4 gal capacity).

For my recipe, my calculated boil volume (3.9 gal) is very close to brew kettle capacity, worrying me about boilovers. I'm thinking about holding back a half gallon of water and topping up with this when I move the wort to the fermenter. This would give me about a gallon of head space in my boil kettle and some relief against boil over. The question is - how do I incorporate a post boil top-up like this in Brewer's friend? In Brewsmith, I can add a top-up in my equipment profile, and the numbers (OG, IBU, etc) seem to work out correctly (after a few minor hops adjustments) But I can't find this in Brewers Friend, and wondering if someone knows the trick to this. I realize most folks do full volumes in all grain, but from what I've read, you can do top-ups in All Grain, as long as you make some minor adjustments for hop efficiency and OG.

Any ideas?
Thanks, Gary

All,

After many extract brews, going to be starting my first all grain brew shortly, and have a question on how to set up my recipe in Brewer's friend. I am starting with 2.5 gallon batch size primarily because I am limited on boil size due to my Gigawort electric brew kettle (4.4 gal capacity).

For my recipe, my calculated boil volume (3.9 gal) is very close to brew kettle capacity, worrying me about boilovers. I'm thinking about holding back a half gallon of water and topping up with this when I move the wort to the fermenter. This would give me about a gallon of head space in my boil kettle and some relief against boil over. The question is - how do I incorporate a post boil top-up like this in Brewer's friend? In Brewsmith, I can add a top-up in my equipment profile, and the numbers (OG, IBU, etc) seem to work out correctly (after a few minor hops adjustments) But I can't find this in Brewers Friend, and wondering if someone knows the trick to this. I realize most folks do full volumes in all grain, but from what I've read, you can do top-ups in All Grain, as long as you make some minor adjustments for hop efficiency and OG.

Any ideas?
Thanks, Gary

I can’t answer your question, but can suggest an alternate approach to use Fermcap to avoid boilovers. I do AG half barrel batches, so many approach the tip top of my 20G kettle - Fermcap works like a champ, allowing rolling boil to within a half inch of my kettle rim and no boil overs.

I can’t answer your question, but can suggest an alternate approach to use Fermcap to avoid boilovers. I do AG half barrel batches, so many approach the tip top of my 20G kettle - Fermcap works like a champ, allowing rolling boil to within a half inch of my kettle rim and no boil overs.

Great idea! I never used that but have heard of that. That maybe eliminates the issue I’m trying to find a solution too. Thanks!

I fill my boil kettle to within half an inch of the top, then use a whisk to stir down the foam as it approaches boil. It requires careful attention and adjusting the heat level as it nears boil to do that. At some point I may try Fermcap.

Back