Brewers Best Summer Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCM72

Reaction score
I am a brand new brewer and my first project is a Summer Ale Kit from Brewers Best. The directions explain to put the crushed grains into the grain bag but it doesn't mention what to do with the bag of spices that come with the kit. Are they supposed to be mixed in with the crushed grains?

This may be better suited in a different forum but anyway. As this was my first 5 gallon kit I didn't catch the spice pack notes at first too. Look under the brew day schedule on the right side of the directions. It should be part of you hop/ boil schedule. Looks like 40 minutes into the boil.

The spices will need to go into the brew kettle late during the boil, most likely. They *may* go into the fermenter, depending on the recipe. The instructions should say when to add them to the boil. You can probably just dump them in loose unless you have a very large tea ball.

If these are your instructions (which I was able to google):
http://www.brewersbestkits.com/pdf/1054_Summer_Ale.pdf
then you need to put the spice pack in 40 minutes after you add the bittering hops. Boil 15 more minutes then add the aroma hops.

Make sure you stir your extract well so it all dissolves - or better yet, add it with the kettle not on the heat so it doesn't scorch.

Good luck with your first batch!

No. Usually they go in at the same time as the aroma hops. Check the brew schedule on the bottom right of the directions. If not there I believe it's for the last 5-10 minutes if the boil.

My wife brewed this one as her first. Put the spices in a muslin hop sack,tie off,& add the last 15 minutes of the boil. And make sure you crush the grains first. The grains in her kit weren't crushed. Then put them into the muslin grain sack & tie off before steeping.
This kit is supposed to be like Shock top.

Back