Brewers Best Milk Stout Brew Day Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thegundog

Reaction score
I picked up a Brewers Best Milk Stout Extract Kit and the directions seem a bit unclear so I’m hoping someone can confirm.

I’ve attached the instructions link for reference.

I have two questions:

1.) when do I add the bag of crushed chocolate wheat malt? The directions speak to adding the LME, Lactose and Maltodextrin after you have steeped grains and returned to boil.

2.) Are the El dorado hops added at the very beggining of the boil?

Maybe it’s clear in the instructions and I’m just overlooking it....

Thanks

Instructions: http://www.brewersbestkits.com/assets/1034_chocolatemilkstout_recipe.pdf

Hi. Looks like a good recipe and a lot instructions. I can see how you can over think it.

1) Steeping grains (chocolate malts and etc.) first in 150-165 degrees and not boiling water. Remove after 20 mins, bring to gentle boil, and then add LME and etc.
2) Yes, when there’s 50 mins left to the boil (10 mins in) add eldorado hops.

Be sure to follow all of those tips on the right column of instructions.
Should have a fun brew day if all goes well!
Cheers

@PeteSeattle - Thank you friend for the quick response and clarification.. At the time of my post I had water in the kettle and was working toward steeping temp. Since I wasn’t clear on the process I was getting ready to abandon the brew tonight and wait until I could clarify the questions and process... the Milk Stout is now in the kettle and I’ll be pitching the yeast shortly!

I did not associate the chocolate malt as part of the grain bill... and the way the instructions were worded I was confused on the El dorado addition.

Thanks for providing the clarification, thanks to you I was able to complete the brewing process tonight.

Hey, that’s awesome to hear! Now you have the entire weekend. Since I’m on this thread I’ll be curious how your stout finishes.

Brew on, cheers!

Latest posts

Back