Brewer's best Belgian golden ale attenuation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottab

Reaction score
So i brewed the wort like it says in the package topped off with slightly too much water but was within the og the mfg specifies.
Just did a hydrometer reading last night which is 2 weeks after brewing and found my gravity to be 1.004. I did 2 readings. Didn't check my hydrometer against water but i believe it to be fairly accurate.

Recipe:
6lbs pilsen dme
2lbs candy syrup (golden)
1lb candy sugar (clear)
.5oz brewers gold bittering hops
1oz hallertau flavor hops
1oz hallertau aroma hops
1pkg danstar saison ale yeast

starter made with white labs WLP545 BELGIAN STRONG ALE YEAST

I used both the dry and starter yeast in this one at a suggestion with my lhbs

Starting gravity was 1.070

So i guess my question is if it's possible i read my hydrometer wrong 2 times? Or more likely that i pitched so much yeast that over attenuated? Is there any adverse affect besides a dryer beer with over attenuation?

Yeah, revel in your success. Bottle it up after another gravity reading in a couple days and be patient for a month.

What was the dry yeast? The liquid was wlp545?

So was it over pitched? I've heardthat normally doesn't happen with homebrew

I had a similar experience, except I pitched the WLP 545 first. After about 36 hours of no acticity, impatience set in and I pitched half a pack of the Belle Saison yeast.

It attenuated down to 1.006 (after temperature correction) and tasted pretty good. I don't believe overpitching will lead to super attenuation (given the yeast involved) but suspect that the amount of simple sugars pesent, and the Belle Saiosn gave a pretty high attenuation. Anyway, the keg blew pretty fast!

Just did a reading after 10 days in primary. OG was 1.076, FG is 1.002. I followed the kit instructions to a t - but added 5 tsp yeast nutrient during last 5 min of boil and aerated with a power drill wine whip.
Is is possible to attenuate that much? Or did I mess my readings up. Tasted dryer than the Belgian Tripel I made.

Latest posts

Back