Breweries in Charleston, SC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Savage06

Reaction score
Hey I am going to be traveling to Charleston for some beer tastings and wanted to see what are some breweries in the area that are doing some cool and interesting things?

So far looking into

West Brook
Riverdog
Palmetto
Holy City
Coast Brewing Company

Most likely won't have time for all of them so looking to see what ones would be a priority to check out

Used to live down there years ago. Can't help you with the breweries, but you deff want to try Mellow Mushroom for some amazing pizza. :mug:

Well you can cross Riverdog off your list unless you're going to Bluffton too.

I like and respect Palmetto's operation, but it would be the last one on my list. They're less "crafty" than most other craft brewers (although their Espresso Porter is beyond delicious). They make mostly standard ales, but aimed at the average beer drinker rather than your craft beer enthusiast.

I'd stick to the other three. Also, on James Island (short hop away from the downtown peninsula) there's a BBQ and brews joint called Smokey Oak. They have a ludicrous number of craft beers on tap there - something like 80 - for pretty good prices. And the food is damn tasty too.

Coast and Westbrook would be my vote.

Coast is a seriously small mom and pop scraping by brewery, they have weird tasting hours, plan ahead. They make pretty good beer.

Westbrook is the exact opposite, daddy built a home brewer a very expensive brewery. Also pretty good beer.

Holy city has never impressed me.
Palmetto is OK.

Plan a stop at the Charleston beer exchange, a very good bottle and growler shop.

Its a great town. Beautiful, great food, gorgeous women. Enjoy your stay.

Charleston is an absurdly fun town- I lived there for three years right before the brewery scene really started happening. I agree that Palmetto is pretty lame. I've heard good things about Holy City. Mellow Mushroom is indeed a fine place for pizza and they have a ton on tap.

Be sure to check out the Charleston Beer Exchange as well!

Not just good, but consistently voted best in the country by ratebeer.com

Well that just goes to further prove ratebeer's irrelevance.

I would be extremely happy to have that as my local store, but I have been to many that are far better. It's a tiny place, and not THAT dense with quality to make up for it.

Well that just goes to further prove ratebeer's irrelevance.

I would be extremely happy to have that as my local store, but I have been to many that are far better. It's a tiny place, and not THAT dense with quality to make up for it.

tumblr_inline_mjkw9sQHdX1qz4rgp.jpg

:cross:

Back