Brewed something weird today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ong

Reaction score
So today I brewed a hazy IPA with several lbs of sushi rice in the grist, fermented on tomatillos, matcha (powdered green tea), and lime zest, using a German ale yeast. Yeah, I dunno. It just seemed like a really interesting combination. Hops were a mix of Calypso, Azzaca, and Eukanot, with an emphasis on the Calypso.

So, smart person pruno? you did do a cereal mash for the rice and boil it before adding to the mash right?

what was the OG?

and making alcohol of any kind is fun so...as always :tank:

Yep, cereal mashed the rice (boiled it as a thin gruel for half an hour) and got full conversion. I wouldn’t say it’s pruno, unless any fruit beer counts as toilet wine...

OG was 1.068, a nice NEIPA gravity.

IMG_7778.JPG

Kegged this today (after a bit of a D-rest at 71°). It’s still warm and under-carbed, but I couldn’t resist taking a pour.

It’s much less weird than you might think. There is some lemon-y tartness from the tomatillos, and a bit of bitterness from the tea, but mainly it just tastes like a nice juicy NEIPA. I’ll try another pour in a few day, and maybe doctor with a bit more lime. I also keg hopped with cryo Eukanot, so that will take a while to kick in, too.

Tasty, even if not quite as odd as expected (and not really green, sadly).

Took another pour today. It’s actually really delicious, but not too different from any other good hazy IPA. Although I think the tartness from the tomatillos and the lower body from the rice gives it a very refreshing sense of dryness. All in all, though, an excellent beer.

Latest posts

Back