Brewed first all grain BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacksonchrisw

Reaction score
Well just did my first all grain BIAB on Saturday. It is in the primary now. Did a Mirror Pond clone.

8lbs Pale Malt
2lbs Crystal 20L
1lb Dextrine Malt

I admit I should have focused more on making my beer than drinking my neighbor's Dick's Double Danger. I mashed at 155 for 60 minutes then bumped it up to 170 for a 15 minute mashout. My preboil gravity was right where I wanted it , 1.041. I boiled for 90 minutes adding cascade at 60 then at 15. After the boil, I expected to have 5.5 gallons, but was way off. At this time I was feeling pretty good from all the beer I had been drinking and took a gravity reading. I was reading 1.065. WAY to high. So being a little intoxicated, I went ahead and put the wort into the fermenter and just added water to the 5 gal mark. I must have gotten lucky because the next day I took another reading and was spot on at 1.053. Went ahead and pitched my yeast and by Monday morning I had some activity going. Going to put it in the secondary this Saturday with some more hops. Will let you guys know how it turned out.

Oh yeah come to find out, when I took that first gravity reading, I did not have enough in the test tube so my hydrometer was just hitting the bottom. That is why I got the high reading...LOL

You must have seen their homebrew recipe.

I would probably have scaled back the crystal, but this should be a tasty beer. Dick's Double Danger sounds doubly dangerous, but I think it's important to have a little "inspiration" for brewday.

Back