Brew Magic and Rims Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul_Aris

Reaction score
I did all grain brewing for years using Denny's batch spare method. I am now brewing on a Sabco Brew Magic for the first time and have a few questions.

With batch sparge you calculate your water and use 1/2 the boil volume in for dough in and 60 minute rest. Then you add what the grain absorbed and sparge out. Then you add the other 1/2 of the volume and maybe rest 15 minutes and sparge again.

With a Rims do I still do 1/2 the volume for 60 minutes while recirculatiing? Do I just fill the HLT to 12 gallons or so and sparge until I reach my volume in the boil kettle and then shut the HLT off.

Also I am having trouble maintaining a siphon from the mash tun to the kettle. I should mention that I am fly sparging with the supplied hose on top of the grain.

What is the best way to handle the mash and sparge on a rims? Water volumes, grain volume and when to sparge and how?

Did another brew yesterday. This time I didn't have any siphon issues but I ended up at least .010 points to low on my original gravity. I think I fly sparged to quickly with to much clear water to fast. Any tips?

Not sure what a RIMS has to do with sparging (unless direct heating sparge water, which you are not).

With either technique your mash water:grain weight should be in a certain range. It is called grist ratio and should be about 1.5 qts/lb. See http://howtobrew.com/book/section-3/how-the-mash-works/manipulating-the-starch-conversion-rest

I am not a batch sparge expert as I fly sparge. But in general you can fly sparge with a volume that is about equal to the infusion water volume. Stop sparging when you reach your boil volume or when the SG of the runnings get too low (<= 1.010) or the pH too high (6.0).

Not sure what a RIMS has to do with sparging (unless direct heating sparge water, which you are not).

With either technique your mash water:grain weight should be in a certain range. It is called grist ratio and should be about 1.5 qts/lb. See http://howtobrew.com/book/section-3/how-the-mash-works/manipulating-the-starch-conversion-rest

I am not a batch sparge expert as I fly sparge. But in general you can fly sparge with a volume that is about equal to the infusion water volume. Stop sparging when you reach your boil volume or when the SG of the runnings get too low (<= 1.010) or the pH too high (6.0).

Yup, I always used 1.25 qt/lb when batch sparging. Sounds like it may be ideal for fly sparging in my rims to go more like 1.5. Also, I was more concerned with how long to sparge out and I think by doing some reading that just keep the top layer off water over the grain bed equal to what you are pulling out into your kettle. Not a fast flow but more of a slow flow is better.

Sorry, still not following you. A thinner mash will result in dry-er beer. Sparging won't effect that, unless you don't fully convert (short mash period). If you fly sparge, a rate of ~1 qt./min is appropriate.

Well I've brewed a few more times and now I am over shooting my target OG. I make sure I stir in the grains real good, then let it recirculate for 60 minutes. Biggest change I made was a slow sparge. I have been using 1.3 qts/lb but looks like 1.5 would be better because I over shot both times.

Not sure if our qts/lb definition is the same. I am talking about grist ratio... the amount of water to grains in the mash. I think you are talking about sparging volume.

I mashed with 1.3 qt./lb for 60 minutes then kind did mash out where I raised the temperature to 170 which took 10-15 minutes while recirculating did not add extra water at this step. Then I had my sparge water heated to 170 and began a slow run-off into Kettle while add a slow amount of water on top mash to match. The sparge water volume I shot for was final kettle volume assuming 1 gallon boil off and .1 gallon per lb grain absorption during the mash. So needed to add 7 gallons or so doing a 10 gallon batch.

Latest posts

Back