Brew kettle size for BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheatondiver

Reaction score
I am looking to grow from partial mash and extract brewing to full grain mash using the BIAB method. I am currently using the standard 8 gallon to the lip brew kettle from brewer’s best. Can I use this until I can afford to upgrade to a ten (10) gallon kettle? When I can upgrade, what features should I look for?

You can, just you might be close to the limit on some grain bills if you're trying to use the full volume of strike water. If have partial volume and sparge, you'll have more room during the mash. If you have some favorite recipes of things you've brewed before, try figuring out what the all grain recipe might be, and throwing that data into something like the Brew in a Bag (BIAB) Calculator ~ to see what you might be getting into.

I'm sure some more knowledgeable and helpful folks will be along shortly after me, with better insights. :mug:

You can get away with an 8 gallon kettle if you really pay attention to boil overs and whatnot but 10 is certainly better.

Honestly for BIAB, a good sturdy 10 gallon or larger pot with good strong handles and a drain valve will do everything it needs to do. Everything else is add on and not really necessary.

I have just moved over to BIAB, have only done one batch so far. That one was a 5.5G batch that used 11.5# of grain and had just under 8G of starting water. I intentionally bumped it up a little so I have 5G going into the keg. My kettle is 10.25G (actual) and seems pretty good for the 5G-ish batches I plan for the foreseeable future. I do not think you would not want any smaller. Having a little margin is a good thing.

I BIAB 6 gallon batches with full volume, I use a Bayou Classics 44qt stainless pot as my brew kettle and I find it is the perfect size. Enough capacity for everything I've brewed up to 1.110 imperial stout (I wouldn't attempt more than that) without a bunch of wasted space that a larger pot would have.

For my typical recipe I start with 8.5 gallons of strike water, ~12 lbs of grain brings the total mash volume up to just about 10 gallons; once i pull the bag the volume drops and so there is plenty of room to boil. I use two 1600W elements on full blast and have never had a boilover.

I BIAB 6 gallon batches with full volume, I use a Bayou Classics 44qt stainless pot as my brew kettle and I find it is the perfect size. Enough capacity for everything I've brewed up to 1.110 imperial stout (I wouldn't attempt more than that) without a bunch of wasted space that a larger pot would have.
Until I started using a Mash & Boil electric rig that was my kettle for 10 years. Still is for anything more than like 1.060.

I'm actually using it as a fermenter in my 90F storage for my first exploration into the world of kveik.

Until I started using a Mash & Boil electric rig that was my kettle for 10 years. Still is for anything more than like 1.060.

I'm actually using it as a fermenter in my 90F storage for my first exploration into the world of kveik.
I've thought about fermenting in my kettle though I haven't tried it yet, but since I tend to brew every weekend and keg most of my ales after only a week this would be a pretty easy routine and might reduce the chances of infection, etc.

I would love to add some latches onto mine to clamp the lid down but so far haven't been able to locate the right size hardware.

I've thought about fermenting in my kettle though I haven't tried it yet, but since I tend to brew every weekend and keg most of my ales after only a week this would be a pretty easy routine and might reduce the chances of infection, etc.

I would love to add some latches onto mine to clamp the lid down but so far haven't been able to locate the right size hardware.
Believe it or not I use black binder clips. Medium size. the fit perfectly on my lid. I use like 8 of them.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Binder-Clips-Medium-2-Pack/dp/B074XTSCWK

@OP

To add to what pdcm said, you can always use BIAB calculator and reduce your batch size until you find one that gives < 8 gal pre-boil. My comfort level would be a batch size that had no more than 7 gal preboil; and you really have to baby it to make sure it does not boil over. I have done as much as .5 gal < max kettle size but was very tight and uncomfortable. That is just to get you buy until you upgrade.

You can definitely make an 8 gal kettle work until you can get a bigger kettle, just follow the good advise above (BIAB calculator, watch for boil overs, etc.).

And I second firerat... when you get a new kettle, get one with a ball valve. You'll be glad that you did.

Your 8 gallon pot will make a 5 gallon batch but....you will need to do a sparge step as there will not be sufficient room for full volume of water plus the grains. You will also need to watch your boil off amount as you will likely have to start with a smaller amount of wort to keep from boiling over. You can do that by keeping the boil to a barely rolling boil, there is no need for a strong boil. If you want, you can cut the boil time down some too. I usually only do a 30 minute boil and either calculate the additional bittering hop amount or just accept the reduced bitterness. I usually just accept the reduced bitterness as it will not be a large amount.

I started out with a 15gal kettle. One of the best gear decisions I made.

Save up for a 10 - 15 gallon kettle, but use the 8 gallon for now. If you dunk sparge with 2 gallons, you should have no trouble at all. Use Priceless BIAB Calculator, which gives you everything you need to calculate your batch size. It gives you volume and kettle height measurements for each step; strike water, mash, pre-boil, post-boil, etc.

Go straight for a 15 gallon kettle. This way you can do really big beers (high gravity stouts, tripels etc) if you want, and you'll also have the flexibility to do 10 gallon batches in the future. Best decision I made when switching from extract.

For my typical recipe I start with 8.5 gallons of strike water, ~12 lbs of grain brings the total mash volume up to just about 10 gallons; once i pull the bag the volume drops and so there is plenty of room to boil. I use two 1600W elements on full blast and have never had a boilover.
This sounds like my routine. 10 gallon kettle with 8.5 gallons of strike. Squeeze my bag vigorously, and I can still get 7-7.5 gallons in the fermentor depending on my target SG and boil vigor.

Another recommendation here for the 15. I started with 10 on an induction plate and it could be pretty tight. 15 is a lot better. Its not just how full the kettle is either, but how easy it is to pull the bag and have it not run down the outside of the kettle.

Another recommendation here for the 15. I started with 10 on an induction plate and it could be pretty tight. 15 is a lot better. Its not just how full the kettle is either, but how easy it is to pull the bag and have it not run down the outside of the kettle.
This is a really good point. Twice recently I pulled the bag and got distracted, not noticing the back side of the bag was touching the rim of the kettle, hot wort ran down the outside and got all over my gear and the floor. Boy was I pissed.

Agree with 15. When I moved from extract to BIAB, I went ahead and spent a few extra bucks for a 15 gal instead of 10. You will be glad of it. It will have extra space for most brews but allows for those bigger beers and you never have to worry about boil overs. Be sure your BIAB bag will fit which ever size pot you get and make sure it has a ball valve.

I do 5 to 5.5 gallon brews into the fermenter. I do full volume mashing and start with 8.5 gallons into the mash kettle. With all the grain in there as well I was not comfortable using a 10 gallon kettle. I have a 15 gallon kettle I use and if I wanted to do a few gallons more it would fit.

I might be different. I moved to BIAB 3 or 4 years ago with my 10 gallon kettle. Last year I acquired a 15 gallon kettle (it seems to max out at 16 gals) and I feel it is just too big. I aim for 5.5 gals into the fermenter. My long stem thermometer barely makes it down into the wort, 1/3 of my Jaded Hydra chiller is above the wort due to the kettle being fairly wide, and the large kettle is quite heavy and awkward to move and clean. With my 10 gallon kettle, I made a 5.5 gal batch of 1.118 imperial stout just by adding in a sparge step and I can easily make 4 gall batch of that gravity with a full volume mash.

My larger kettle has a ball valve which is a great addition. I have been wanting to drill my 10 gallon kettle to add a ball valve. I would then use that as my normal kettle and break out the larger one as needed. On the plus side, I was able to produce a double batch of a Saison with my larger kettle...so 5-gal to enjoy now and 5-gals to age with Brett.

If somebody made 12 gallon kettles, I feel that would be the perfect size for me.

3X rule for a BIAB kettle. It will cover any beer you will ever make.

you want/need a kettle 3 times your regular batch size. Most people brew 5 gal recipes so a 15 gallon kettle will cover anything you want to brew.

When you ever do a high OG beer or serious RIS...you will damn near max out the 15 gal kettle doing a BIAB 5 gal recipe.

I'm able to get 8 gallons and 16 lbs of grist in a bag into my 44 qt (11 gal) kettle. I'd like a 15 gal, but any wider and it won't fit on my propane burner.

I'd like a 15 gal, but any wider and it won't fit on my propane burner.
I have a hard time visualizing this.

I once had a very unique propane burner/kettle combo that had a frame that the kettle slid into...but I've never seen another one like it...ever.

I have a hard time visualizing this.

I once had a very unique propane burner/kettle combo that had a frame that the kettle slid into...but I've never seen another one like it...ever.
Right now, the 44-quart pot just exactly fits the ring at the top of my burner. Kinda tall, but manageable. Any larger around, and it would sit slightly offset, and I don't like the idea of it not being centered on the burner.
1676770213511.png

I'm completely new to this. I've been making extracts for several years. Wanting to get into BIAB, I researched kettle sizes and was torn between the 10 and 15. I ended up buying the a 15 gallon. It came in last week and this thing seems pretty damn big for the 5 gallon batches I plan to make.

I mostly make stouts and like the higher gravity beers. But damn- this kettle is really big and I'm wondering if I should return it for a 10. I'm really on the fence and my return time is running out. I don't see me making anymore than 5 gallons at a time as I'm the only one who drinks it! Reading here seems to suggest I made the right decision- but damn- that's a big freaking kettle! I just hope I've made the right choice?

I'm completely new to this. I've been making extracts for several years. Wanting to get into BIAB, I researched kettle sizes and was torn between the 10 and 15. I ended up buying the a 15 gallon. It came in last week and this thing seems pretty damn big for the 5 gallon batches I plan to make.

I mostly make stouts and like the higher gravity beers. But damn- this kettle is really big and I'm wondering if I should return it for a 10. I'm really on the fence and my return time is running out. I don't see me making anymore than 5 gallons at a time as I'm the only one who drinks it! Reading here seems to suggest I made the right decision- but damn- that's a big freaking kettle! I just hope I've made the right choice?

Finishing with 6.5 gallons in the kettle, you'll have at least 11-12 gallons of mash in there with bigger ABV beers.

I brew 5 gal batches BIAB in a 15 gal kettle. I typically use ~8 gal of strike water for a 5 gal batch of medium strength beer, and the grain takes up about another gal. If you are going to be making high gravity beers, you're going to want to keep the 15 gal kettle.

Brew on :mug:

If the thought of storing, handling, cleaning, etc. a 15 gallon kettle fills you with dread, adding a simple dunk sparge in a second vessel makes a 10G kettle thoroughly adequate.

Great info here, so I cannot add much. I have a 10 gallon kettle with a ball valve and a bazooka screen to catch anything that might get thru the bags. I use a smaller bag for my hops and usually use pellets. My kettle is a GasOne that my wife got me for a present. It is a great kettle and I would recommend it, but it was a bit pricey I think. I have tried full volume and sparge methods and both have worked out. I am going to look for a colander to fit inside the rim of the kettle as my bag will mushroom out and I end up spilling some on the floor and on my burner. But, other than that, I really like the kettle and am getting used to how it holds the heat.

Also, the kettle came with a false bottom, so eventually if I want, I can turn it into my mash tun and get a separate kettle to boil with, but that is down the road, and to be honest, at some point if I can finally get my process figured out, I might look into the Anvil all in one. But I digress. Good luck and Rock On!!!!!!!!

If the thought of storing, handling, cleaning, etc. a 15 gallon kettle fills you with dread, adding a simple dunk sparge in a second vessel makes a 10G kettle thoroughly adequate.
Completely agree. I use the old 5 gallon pot I got with my NB kit for just that. I add about 2 to 3 gallons of water, dunk the bag in and let it sit for 10 to 15 mins, then pour that into my boil kettle for about 7 to 8 gallons. That has worked out really well.

I squeeze the bag and fill up the missing volume with water before the boil. Works well. If there's too much evaporation, water again.
I have thought about doing this, but wondered if it threw off the OG and preboil gravity? Hence, throwing off the final numbers and ABV? I did that with extract, but I have a feeling the recipe's allowed for the top off and adjusted the amount of LME or DME.

Back