Brew In A Bag - Mash Temp Worry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

othevad

Reaction score
Hey guys.

So. I had never done a brew in a bag and wanted to try to do a small (3 gallon batch) of a really high gravity stout to experiment. So I had all my grain in the bag sitting between 156 and 163ish back and forth for about 35 mins and got it to really stabilize temp wise (or so I thought)
I left the house for about 20 mins, had left the heat on low and came back to my grains mashing at about 195 degrees =/
BAH!
I cranked the heat to boil it since it was close to an hour when i returned and commenced usual procedures from that point forward.

Question : This isn't optimal I know, but is this bad? Anyone wanna drop some knowledge on me (besides telling me not to leave the house with my kettle on the stove lol)

Not optimum, but most, if not all of the conversion happens in the first 20 minutes anyway, so, you made beer!

Also, a little heat goes a long ways, make sure you stir while you heat to get the temp even throughout the wort. What style of beer?

I wouldn't leave the stove on, maybe every once in a while kick it on 1 or 2 (out of 10) and give it a sitr, then back off. I can boil a small pot of pasta sauce on #1 setting on my stove. I mash on my stove for 2.5 gallon BIAB batches, but boil on my burner as some reason it can't get extra 4-5 degrees it needs to boil! Just heat strike water to desired temp, dough in, wrap with towel, leave burner off!

I wouldn't leave the stove on, maybe every once in a while kick it on 1 or 2 (out of 10) and give it a sitr, then back off. I can boil a small pot of pasta sauce on #1 setting on my stove. I mash on my stove for 2.5 gallon BIAB batches, but boil on my burner as some reason it can't get extra 4-5 degrees it needs to boil! Just heat strike water to desired temp, dough in, wrap with towel, leave burner off!
This

Latest posts

Back