Brew Bucket by SS Brewing Technologies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So can you pull off the yeast in this Brew Bucket and bottle or keg directly from it or do you (should you) still need to use an auto siphon?
I'd love to pull some yeast off to wash and stock as it would make it that much easier.

So can you pull off the yeast in this Brew Bucket and bottle or keg directly from it or do you (should you) still need to use an auto siphon?
I'd love to pull some yeast off to wash and stock as it would make it that much easier.

There's no way to pull off the yeast out the bottom like a standard conical fermenter. It does eliminate the need for an auto-siphon, though.

You should look into their conical then. I haven't pulled yeast yet as I've got all mine working now, but I suppose one could use a funnel and dump it into a sanitized vessel if one wanted. Then proceed with the yeast washing. We have several breweries around here you will pull fresh, low generation yeast for us.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Had a nice conversation with one of the guys at SS Brewing. Here's what he sent me :

No I won't be getting more, this time. The wife seems to think I have enough for now

Sorry about that false alarm "Back in Stock" email notice many of you just got. One of the staff was working with a 3rd party application that triggered an inventory event and thus a false "back in stock" notice to many of you. Just like last time, we are going to run a pre-sale instead of dumping units live into inventory because when a couple thousand people come into the store all at the same time with live inventory levels it seems to crash our cart / system.

SO WITH THAT, WE HAVE DECIDED TO OPEN FOR PRE-PURCHASES ON OUR SITE AT NOON TOMORROW (FRI JAN 31) www.ssbrewtech.com

Some IMPORTANT NOTES ABOUT HOW THIS IS GOING TO WORK:
At approximately 12 Noon Pacific Standard Time, Jan 31st 2014, you will be able to go to the site at www.ssbrewtech.com and put Brew Bucket(s) into your cart and purchase
Orders will be processed on a first in, first out basis. In other words, the orders will be processed and shipped in the order they are received.
Your Paypal account will be charged at the time of purchase and the time stamp on your transaction sets your place in the fulfillment queue.
If you don't have a Paypal account set up, you'll need one to pre-purchase this time. It takes like 3 minutes, so not a big deal and you've come this far no stopping now! :)
We will limit our pre-sale to 300 Buckets - which is a quantity we are comfortable we can get shipped out to you within the next 3 weeks. There is no point for us to pre-sell more than we can comfortably have a solid time table for on replenishment - that would just result in more unhappy folks later. As more product and timing is clear in our pipeline, we'll open up more again in a similar pre-purchase sale such as this one in a couple/few weeks time.
Limit two Brew Buckets Buckets per customer. We have no way to control this in the cart currently, but if you buy more, we'll refund you the balance and set the order to back to 2 max. Sorry, but we need to spread these out to as many brewers as possible for the time being.
We will notify you in email by Friday Feb 7th what your estimated ship date will be (and that date will be within 3 weeks of purchase date) Once we line up your place in the order queue against our processing and shipment schedule, then we'll get a mail out to you ASAP with this info. Latest this will happen will be Friday.
You can cancel your order and request a refund at any time prior to us shipping by simply emailing to [email protected] and putting "REFUND" , along with your Shopify order number in the subject header / body of message to us. Please allow 48 hours from time of mail to process your request. We understand some of you may want to bail out (for whatever reason). No worries - send us a note, we'll refund you - that simple.
We will send a blast mail to all of you on this list announcing the close of the pre-sale once it hits 300 Buckets (our limit of Buckets that we have good visibility to schedule on) Just so you know what is going on and you don't have to write in asking us whether we have more Buckets available or why the site shows "stock out" again. We will run another pre-sale soon (couple/few weeks).
There will be no need to sign back up on the "back in stock" notification tool on the Brew Bucket page if you don't get a Bucket this go around. Because we aren't loading inventory into the site, it won't automatically generate a "back in stock" notice to you and thus it won't reset that list back to zero names like last time. We'll shoot you a mail the next time we are about to make more Buckets available for special order / pre-sale.
If you have a promo code that you would like to use, you will need to email us that code at [email protected] after your checkout. We extended the codes through Jan 31st , but then later found out that the codes can't extend in our system, so we have to manually refund the promo code amount after you check out. It is easy for us to do, just send us your order number, name, and the promo code you have and we'll take care of it and confirm to you in email as well.

Happy Brewing Everybody!

Team Ss
Ss Brewing Technologies
www.ssbrewtech.com

So if I get lucky tomorrow, I will have two more on order which will make five on order total, plus the two I have now...got it.

That makes me wonder if I should shoot for two as well. I like the Deepwoods Cavern alright but it is not quite as sturdy although it has different qualities. I'd say: Let the games begin tomorrow noon PST!

So no one is really concerned about the unsanitary valve you're going to drain your whole batch through when it's done fermenting? Would it be easy to replace?

So no one is really concerned about the unsanitary valve you're going to drain your whole batch through when it's done fermenting? Would it be easy to replace?

Would this valve be any different than other conicals that guys use? How do guys sanitize the valve on those before racking?

Well 2 and 3 piece valves can be disassembled and sanitized between batches. This one didn't look like it was able to be taken apart. I may be mistaken.

You're also sampling and draining out of the same valve. If you take a sample or two over the course of a fermentation, you have beer in the exposed side of that valve sitting out in the open.

Maybe it's nothing to worry about, but people freak out over a tiny scratch inside a fermentor, and to me draining my batch through an exposed opening with that valve seems dicey. Is spraying some sanitizer up in it enough?

IMO spraying sanitizer in will be enough. I don't really take samples that way anyway... But, knock on wood, I have a good record with spraying things with sanitizer.... But I tend to spray a lot, several times.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Well 2 and 3 piece valves can be disassembled and sanitized between batches. This one didn't look like it was able to be taken apart. I may be mistaken.

You're also sampling and draining out of the same valve. If you take a sample or two over the course of a fermentation, you have beer in the exposed side of that valve sitting out in the open.

Maybe it's nothing to worry about, but people freak out over a tiny scratch inside a fermentor, and to me draining my batch through an exposed opening with that valve seems dicey. Is spraying some sanitizer up in it enough?

if you're worried, I bet you could boil the valve and sterilize it. it's small so it should be pretty easy

She's a "beaut" Clark!! I'm officially on the "email when in stock" list. Cheers!!

So, I'm trying to figure out... What's the advantage of buying directly from SS Brewing vs. Keg Outlet? Both have them at the same price. Better chance of getting one through SS Brewing? Better shipping? Just curious. Thanks!

It's a valid concern but I've taken samples through the valve on my DW Cavern. I sanitize the inside of the valve, attach a barb fitting and when I'm done I remove it and spray the inside of the valve with 70% isopropyl alcohol and then StarSan. Sometimes I spray again with alcohol because I have the feeling that over time drying StarSan becomes a breeding ground for mold. I'm thinking about getting two of these so I can "retire" my DW cavern as a brew pot to heat up sparge and strike water.

Jeez some of you have 5+ of these... I just have one and still found it hard to drop $175 lol. Glad people made the point about the silicone tubing for the dip tube. That is seriously needed.

- ISM NRP

Anyone manage to snag one yet? Still shows as sold out, and I've been refreshing every couple of minutes. Not sure if they're late in getting them on or if I already missed my chance...

Anyone manage to snag one yet? Still shows as sold out, and I've been refreshing every couple of minutes. Not sure if they're late in getting them on or if I already missed my chance...

The Email From SSBrewTech said:
At approximately 12 Noon Pacific Standard Time, Jan 31st 2014, you will be able to go to the site at www.ssbrewtech.com and put Brew Bucket(s) into your cart and purchase...

You're a few hours early there, bud...

Oh man... I can't believe I thought Pacific was two hours ahead of me, not behind. I should know better - my brother lives in San Diego. Clearly, I'm way too excited about this :fro:

Just got their email:
300 BUCKETS IN ABOUT FIVE MINUTES...

In just over 5 minutes we got tagged for almost 300 Buckets. Completely insane. Obviously everybody set their calendars and hit us at the same time.

WE ARE SORRY WE CAN'T KEEP UP AND WE KNOW A LOT OF YOU ARE BUMMED / PISSED / WANT A BUCKET ... :-O

If you didn't get one, we'll keep the existing notification lists we are working from so no need to sign back up if you are already getting these mails.

If you did get one (you got an order confirmation through check out), we'll give you an estimated ship date by next week in an email.

AND RELIEF IS IN SITE FOR MORE BUCKETS AS THERE WILL SOON BE AN ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT A NATIONAL FOOTPRINT DISTRIBUTION PARTNER FOR OUR PRODUCTS THAT WILL BE GOING LIVE WITH THEIR INVENTORY SOME TIME IN MARCH. We are just waiting for them to do their own "unveil", before we say anything further. Odds are very high you've probably bought something from them in the last year and will be a very familiar name to all of you we're quite sure of that! :)

We'll still continue to sell direct off our site later, but this new partner will be an important addition to the distribution and support of our brand and products in the US market.

Happy Brewing!

Team Ss

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1391199680.416454.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1391199695.005911.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1391199707.087349.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1391199716.205856.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1391199738.996988.jpg

Racking and washing was a breeze! 15min. Wishing I had a 2nd and maybe a longer pickup tube on the valve. No yeast pickup at all.

I did notice there was some black krausen on the brim of the bucket once I opened it up. Don't know if that's from the metal or what. It didn't taste bad when I sampled. Have to wait and see in a week!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I also checked at 11:55 PST and was able to get 2 ordered. Can't wait to try 'em out!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1391209710.605210.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1391209732.818324.jpg

I love this little fermenter. So glad I got it. Brewing up another batch this weekend!

Looks like SS has partnered with morebeer! Just got this in my inbox.

MoreBeer.com to carry Ss Brewtech products

MoreBeer! will soon have Ss Brew Buckets...

Yes many of your are wondering how a few hundred Buckets sell out in like 5 minutes... so are we!!! Apparently after we sent the pre-sale notice, everybody set their reminders and calendars, and when a couple thousand people go clicking away for a few hundred units all at the same time they go fast. Really fast. We thought we'd at least get a couple hours out of this pre-sale, but we guessed wrong. And a lot of people bought the max allowed 2 units as well. That certainly played a role this time also.

Many of you are questioning the legitimacy and reality of the process, and all we can say is we put a bunch of stock up for sale and literally within several minutes our max quota for the pre-sale was filled /gone. We don't know how to explain it any more than you can believe it. We are just doing what we can to fill your orders, but still just face a lot more demand than we have supply. So no matter what we did or how many minutes it took, the reality was only a fraction of you would get Bucket(s) and the majority would not - that was the statistical reality from the get go. The rest was just a matter of time and how long (or short) it ended up being.

Fortunately for all of us MoreBeer! is coming on board very soon as a distribution partner and they'll have Buckets available to ship in March. Info will be available up on their site within the next week or two, and it sounds like they are going to take pre-orders soon as well.

We'll let them roll out the further detail(s) on their site or in email blasters as appropriate - we just wanted to give you all a heads up that they will have the next available large batch of Buckets and that we are excited to be working with them in the US market.

Up in Canada, our stuff is being carried now by OBK (ontariobeerkegs.com). For you Canadians on this list, please contact them for detail. We are also pretty excited to be working with their Team and to be able to get some of our gear up into Canada where right from the get-go we have gotten a lot of interest and inquiries but were unable to do much both because of stock shortages and/or cost of shipping up there just too expensive...

Sorry again to any / all of you that didn't get what you were after today.

Cheers,

Team Ss

Copyright © 2013 Ss Brewing Technologies
www.ssbrewtech.com
Our mailing address is:
2372 Morse Ave, Suite 310
Irvine, CA 92614

Awesome....I'm a big fan of morebeer. I will never buy from northern brewer or Midwest after their credit card debacle. One day I'll buy a few brewbuckets but I won't be one of the ones fiending to get one. I'm content for now with my recent purchase of brewhemoths and I already have 18 ale pails. Like I mentioned before though hands off my 17 gallon chronical!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1391226903.774293.jpg

Took the ball valve apart...super easy. I'm glad I did before I fill it up tomorrow. There was some water inside and a slight smell of beer in it from the last batch.

Only due to morbid curiosity, I took one of my valves apartImageUploadedByHome Brew1391228587.934695.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1391228607.367207.jpg

The first pic shows that they can be disassembled to a point.

The second pic shows the Teflon washer the is a ***** to get out and I'm not willing to tear it out and maybe not have a bucket for this weekend

I think people are over thinking the whole taking apart the valve thing. I've never taken one apart before to clean, I simply submerge in hot PBW solution and I'm good to go. I know that none of the breweries I know of take theirs apart either. They simply follow a proper CIP program. I hope this puts this issue to bed. I have better things to do than take things apart that don't need it, like brewing

Dang it Mantooth ! You did the same thing I did, you took yours down abit farther. Lol

Only due to morbid curiosity, I took one of my valves apartView attachment 176348View attachment 176349

The first pic shows that they can be disassembled to a point.

The second pic shows the Teflon washer the is a ***** to get out and I'm not willing to tear it out and maybe not have a bucket for this weekend

I think people are over thinking the whole taking apart the valve thing. I've never taken one apart before to clean, I simply submerge in hot PBW solution and I'm good to go. I know that none of the breweries I know of take theirs apart either. They simply follow a proper CIP program. I hope this puts this issue to bed. I have better things to do than take things apart that don't need it, like brewing

Dang it Mantooth ! You did the same thing I did, you took yours down abit farther. Lol

That washer comes right out with hardly any effort. At least mine did. I was scared it was pressed in there and not coming out. Finally decided to give it a try. I got a flat head screw driver and gently began to pry on it. It popped out with hardly any effort. The ball has a little grove on it that once you rotate the valve it falls right out.

Latest posts

Back