Brew Bucket by SS Brewing Technologies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a follow up on my last comment about the lid hole and a new comment about the lid gasket.

The small hole for the bubbler in the lid was finally a real problem, being too sharp for the drilled stopper included. Really.. It was literally cutting the stopper because of it's irregular sharpy edges.

So I got a a another stopper, the one included being too much damaged to be sealing anything (and a more solid one).

I also ended up cutting myself severely on one finger trying to un-sharp the edges of the hole.. Wow.. I almost needed stitches for that one but ended up with 3M Steri-Strip closure bands. ;)

One more thing. They included another gasket for the lid, and it's supposed to be better than the first one. But it is really too big to fit well. It's a hassle to put on and it's far from perfect. But in the end the fermenter seemed pressurized when I closed the lid and put the bubbler.

A black IPA is fermenting inside now. Will post some other comments after kegging.

Weird. The hole in my looked like it was made with a sheet metal punch and was not sharp at all.

24 inches on the nose

13in diameter ...bucket is 12 inch carboy is like 11.5

Put a standard bucket and glass carboy to it for comparisons

Schumed

First thank you for your review, very informative & helpful !:mug:

I was wondering if you could do another measurement for me ?

You said the SS Bucket is 24 inches tall - on the nose with a airlock

Can you tell me what the measurement is from floor to bottom of the Cone?

I am trying to measure for stacking more than one, and need to know how much room is under the bottom of the cone - between the cone & the floor you set it on.

Thanks !

Schumed

First thank you for your review, very informative & helpful !:mug:

I was wondering if you could do another measurement for me ?

You said the SS Bucket is 24 inches tall - on the nose with a airlock

Can you tell me what the measurement is from floor to bottom of the Cone?

I am trying to measure for stacking more than one, and need to know how much room is under the bottom of the cone - between the cone & the floor you set it on.

Thanks !

Just got mine in the mail today! I don't have a measuring tape nearby, but I would say there is about 1/4" of clearance between the tip of the cone and whatever flat surface the fermenter is sitting on

Got this email today.. Looks like they decided to start preorders:

SO WITH THAT, WE HAVE DECIDED TO OPEN FOR PRE-PURCHASES ON OUR SITE LATER TODAY (www.ssbrewtech.com)

Some IMPORTANT NOTES ABOUT HOW THIS IS GOING TO WORK:
At approximately 4pm Pacific Standard Time on January 4, 2014 you will be able to go to the site at www.ssbrewtech.com and put Brew Bucket(s) into your cart and purchase
Orders will be processed on a first in, first out basis. In other words, the orders will be processed and shipped in the order they are received.

Just had time to play with it again. The lid seal starts to leak at 4 psi. At 3 psi I moved a gallon up about 2 feet in 2 minutes. So, 10 minutes for a five gallon batch. I'm used to a 1/2" auto siphon, so it seems slow, but it'll work just fine.

View attachment 168771

View attachment 168772

Just pre-ordered mine today and was interested in your mod for pressurized transfers.

Based upon your pictures, did you simply weld a tri-clover into the lid hole?

Also, has anybody considered adding a weldless thermowell to either install a thermometer or even a probe for a digital temp controller for greater control in regulating fermentation temps?

Cheers...

The thermal mass is still pretty small. Snugging up the thermistor to the outside of the tank, taped on with some foam rubber insulation or a bit of rag on the outside for insulation, will work fine. You'll have less to clean too.

What's the purpose of pressurized transfer? Can't you just pick it up and let gravity do the work? Its not like its a 1 BBL batch that weighs too much to move? What am I missing?

How many pieces does the valve/racking arm come apart into?

What's the purpose of pressurized transfer? Can't you just pick it up and let gravity do the work? Its not like its a 1 BBL batch that weighs too much to move? What am I missing?

The ability to transfer through a filter, Randal, or just straight to a keg without any interaction with oxygen.

The ability to transfer through a filter, Randal, or just straight to a keg without any interaction with oxygen.

Filtering I can see, but is this enough pressure to do so?

Randall? Isn't that at pouring not transferring, or do you mean some sort of Hop Back to dry hop with during transfer? Why bother? More crap to clean. This thing is a bucket. Pop the top and drop some hops. It's what the conical bottom is for and the wide open top couldn't make it easier. Or dry hop in the keg while its carbing.

If someone is gravity feeding wort into carboys without first laying down a blanket of CO2, they have problems.

It's fine to want to emulate pro-methods but meh.

Preordered 2 last night. Can't wait. Still trying to figure out how to explain it to the wife when two more big boxes of brewing equipment show up.

I know alot of people have been peeved with the roll out (lotto/stock dump/etc.) but I have to give SS Brewtech credit for communication. They are constantly updating on their progress or lack thereof sometimes...but at least they are communicating. I wish more companies would be proactive like this.

Really wanted to pre order one but with the dimensions I've seen I don't think I can get it in my ferm chamber. I currently use a mini fridge and it barely fits a 6.5g glass Carboy. Kinda bummed but eh maybe once I get a freezer to ferment in.

Using an autosiphon oxidizes somewhat. CO2 transfer will not. Plus you should be able to transfer it through a purged keg through the inlet instead of the lid which also reduces oxidization.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Minuscule amounts such that and this bucket doesn't use an autosiphon. It is a closed system thanks to the bottom drain. come on guys, be realistic. Whens the last time any of you tasted oxidation on a beer due to autosiphoning?? The argument is excessive conservatism.

Anyway...didnt intend to derail this thread. I was curious what I was missing.

Minuscule amounts such that and this bucket doesn't use an autosiphon. It is a closed system thanks to the bottom drain. come on guys, be realistic. Whens the last time any of you tasted oxidation on a beer due to autosiphoning?? The argument is excessive conservatism.

Anyway...didnt intend to derail this thread. I was curious what I was missing.

Yeah oxidation with autosiphoning is pure laughable

Really wanted to pre order one but with the dimensions I've seen I don't think I can get it in my ferm chamber. I currently use a mini fridge and it barely fits a 6.5g glass Carboy. Kinda bummed but eh maybe once I get a freezer to ferment in.

If you look at the pictures on page 2

You can see the Bucket and standard carboy with airlock is about the same height

Yeah oxidation with autosiphoning is pure laughable

Yep. I'm not worried about oxidation, but I'll take the extra protection.

I wanted to pressure transfer so I wouldn't have to pick up the full fermenter from the fridge and set it on a table that was higher than the keg. Everytime I do that I have to wait for the trub/yeast to settle back down.

Yep. I'm not worried about oxidation, but I'll take the extra protection.

I wanted to pressure transfer so I wouldn't have to pick up the full fermenter from the fridge and set it on a table that was higher than the keg. Everytime I do that I have to wait for the trub/yeast to settle back down.

Bingo Bango bongo! Spot on post.

I never understood this, are people moving their buckets shaking the living crap out of them or what?
By the time i get around to kegging most of my beers my trub and yeast is a solid packed layer on the bottom...short of dropping the bucket from a foot up i dont see how the trub is being disturbed..

I just pull it out of my fridge, gently put it on the counter and siphon into my purged keg. Ive never had cloudy beer...

If you look at the pictures on page 2

You can see the Bucket and standard carboy with airlock is about the same height

Ya unfortunately it's the diameter. It's roughly 1 to 1 1/2 inches larger so I wouldn't be able to shut the door on the mini fridge. Any ideas on how I could make this work???

I'm all ears.

Guys, when do I have to worry for vacuum effect on the airlock?

when you open the ball valve it only takes a few seconds if you have the lid still clamped...so I just opened the lid so didn't have a vacuum going on

Ya unfortunately it's the diameter. It's roughly 1 to 1 1/2 inches larger so I wouldn't be able to shut the door on the mini fridge. Any ideas on how I could make this work???

I'm all ears.

Have you ripped the inner door paneling off yet?

Most people rip everything off the door down to the plastic frame.
If it still doesnt fit then your SOL, if doing this tears out insulation you can always figure out how much space you have left with the Bucket in and just buy some appropriately sized insulation foam and cut/glue it to the inside of the door.

Have you ripped the inner door paneling off yet?

Most people rip everything off the door down to the plastic frame.

If it still doesnt fit then your SOL, if doing this tears out insulation you can always figure out how much space you have left with the Bucket in and just buy some appropriately sized insulation foam and cut/glue it to the inside of the door.

No but just measuring the space in front if the compressor it would hang over the edge by about 1/2"

when you open the ball valve it only takes a few seconds if you have the lid still clamped...so I just opened the lid so didn't have a vacuum going on

I took a sample and it was fine. Maybe I was lucky or it was not sealed right.

Next time I will untight the lid.

What is everyone who received one of these using for temperature control? I used to use a sort of swap cooler to control my carboys but I don't think thats going to work on one of these

What is everyone who received one of these using for temperature control? I used to use a sort of swap cooler to control my carboys but I don't think thats going to work on one of these

fits in my chamber like a normal bucket or carboy swamp cooler should work just fine

To those who have the bucket, the website mentions it has a 3/8" ball valve. Does that mean the hose barb is 3/8" also or is it 1/2" barb? I'm about to order some new hose and wasn't sure.

To those who have the bucket, the website mentions it has a 3/8" ball valve. Does that mean the hose barb is 3/8" also or is it 1/2" barb? I'm about to order some new hose and wasn't sure.

It's definitely not a 1/2" barb. I think I used 5/16" hose on it but I can't check until I get home. Some of the hose I had (maybe 3/8"?) didn't fit tightly enough to suit me.

I can put some calipers on it tonight if you'd like.

I wonder is the conical on the bucket is deep enough for my needs. I BIB, so I mill my grains pretty fine and I like a lot of IPAs so IPAs and Stouts have a lot of trub for me. Just wondering how much (at highest and lowest) volume is below the racking arm.

I wonder is the conical on the bucket is deep enough for my needs. I BIB, so I mill my grains pretty fine and I like a lot of IPAs so IPAs and Stouts have a lot of trub for me. Just wondering how much (at highest and lowest) volume is below the racking arm.

This was posted earlier in this thread by disney7:
"I just checked mine and it leaves 0.70 gallons in the bucket with the pickup at its lowest point. So, basically it has 3/4 of a gallon of dead space. "

I made an IPA with an OG of ~1.070 a few weeks ago in my brew bucket. It had lots of trub in it from the brew kettle. I dry hopped with ~4 oz of pellet hops thrown directly into the brew bucket. I cold crashed it for a few days. When I racked it to a keg I got just a bit of trub and hops when I first opened the valve. Seems like just the right amount of space below the racking arm for my needs. I've attached a pic from that racking session.

20131222_141117[1].jpg

Here is a follow up on my last comment about the lid hole and a new comment about the lid gasket.

The small hole for the bubbler in the lid was finally a real problem, being too sharp for the drilled stopper included. Really.. It was literally cutting the stopper because of it's irregular sharpy edges.

So I got a a another stopper, the one included being too much damaged to be sealing anything (and a more solid one).

I also ended up cutting myself severely on one finger trying to un-sharp the edges of the hole.. Wow.. I almost needed stitches for that one but ended up with 3M Steri-Strip closure bands. ;)

One more thing. They included another gasket for the lid, and it's supposed to be better than the first one. But it is really too big to fit well. It's a hassle to put on and it's far from perfect. But in the end the fermenter seemed pressurized when I closed the lid and put the bubbler.

A black IPA is fermenting inside now. Will post some other comments after kegging.

What did you use as a stopper? I have discovered this same issue...

Second batch with the bucket...had lots of issues using 6 pounds of apricots ...racking arm constantly got clogged up no matter where I had it positioned ...ended up needing to use my siphon

It was super to clean though
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1389322292.139756.jpg

Added a thermowell port. I'm liking this fermentor.

Is that port welded on or soldered? And did you do it yourself? Could you show a picture of the inside. I really want to do this, but I can't weld, and I haven't had much success soldering stainless steel.

Latest posts

Back