Brew #2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rondacker

Reaction score
I just finished brewing batch #2, NB Cream Ale.
I made some improvements in equipment and, I hope, the results.
(I love the tinkering aspect of brewing)

For the first batch, I used the kitchen stove to boil. I now have a turkey fryer.
The first boil was never what I would call a "full" boil. I wondered if I got a good hot break.
This one was great, and I could definitely see the difference.
I used a bucket of snow for a chiller on the first go-round. I now have an immersion chiller.
I was able to get the wort to 70-deg in about 15-min.

OG= 1.040, just as advertised.

The beer is now happily bubbling away in the fermenter.

I'm thinking of leaving the brew in the primary for a couple of weeks, then a couple in the secondary.
My first batch seems a bit too fizzy, and a bit sweet. I wonder if it wasn't fully ready to bottle??
1 week primary, 1 week secondary, two week bottle conditioned.

I'm jealous of your setup, I just started as well and am looking for a complete overhaul of my equipment! Congratulations as well on #2!

If you used a kit does that mean this was a complete extract batch?

and

Being a Cream ale, do you know the exact ingredients/propotions of those to give it the cream character?

I'm jealous of your setup, I just started as well and am looking for a complete overhaul of my equipment! Congratulations as well on #2!

If you used a kit does that mean this was a complete extract batch?

and

Being a Cream ale, do you know the exact ingredients/proportions of those to give it the cream character?

This is an extract kit with specialty grains.
#0.75 Gambrinus Honey Malt
#0.25 Dingemans Biscuit
#6 Pilsnen Malt syrup
.1-oz Cluster Hops (60-min)
I used Wyeast 1056 American Ale Yeast.

The "mash" was steeping the grain bill in a bag for 10-min @ 170-deg.

I'm a rank newbie, so I'm not sure what gives the "cream" aspect.

This is an extract kit with specialty grains.
#0.75 Gambrinus Honey Malt
#0.25 Dingemans Biscuit
#6 Pilsnen Malt syrup
.1-oz Cluster Hops (60-min)
I used Wyeast 1056 American Ale Yeast.

The "mash" was steeping the grain bill in a bag for 10-min @ 170-deg.

I'm a rank newbie, so I'm not sure what gives the "cream" aspect.

I am also new like you, but I was checking to see if there was something unique to give it the cream character, as that could affect how the yeast you are using processes those compounds which could leave some leftover sweetness.

Again, I am new so I could be completely off base with this, but I know alot of micro's have a brew where they add fresh yeast during bottle conditioning, that could aid in breaking down those missed in primary fermentation. But I'd agree with you that a week in secondary could help that sweetness.

Usually a 'cream' ale, doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be creamy.

A cream ale, is an ale version of the typical american lager.

Ever had Genesee Cream Ale?

Now there are recipes on the forum here where i've seen a more literal interpretation of a 'cream' ale.

Usually a 'cream' ale, doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be creamy.

A cream ale, is an ale version of the typical american lager.

Ever had Genesee Cream Ale?

Now there are recipes on the forum here where i've seen a more literal interpretation of a 'cream' ale.

Yeah, thats what I wanted to make sure of. In terms of Ales, I don't think I've really ever had one that was literally creamy. But I have heard of batches that use some form of lactose in their Cream Ales.

Yeah, thats what I wanted to make sure of. In terms of Ales, I don't think I've really ever had one that was literally creamy. But I have heard of batches that use some form of lactose in their Cream Ales.

Yeah, i don't have any experience using lactose in my brews personally.

But as far as i know, lactose is an unfermentable sugar that is mostly used to add a bit of residual sweetness to a beer. I've most commonly seen it used it milk stouts.

Yeah, i don't have any experience using lactose in my brews personally.

But as far as i know, lactose is an unfermentable sugar that is mostly used to add a bit of residual sweetness to a beer. I've most commonly seen it used it milk stouts.

Same here, and yeah thats correct. I think an Oatmeal and Milk Stout might be the sweetest beer I've ever tasted :eek:

I also had a Milk and Cream stout, Which I didn't think were very different... but it tasted like a Latte.

Brew #2 is in the bottle.:mug:
I bottled yesterday, 8-days in the primary, 10 in the secondary.
OG=1.040, FG=1.010.
This brew was crystal clear when I bottled.
My first brew was cloudy,and, even now 5-weeks in the bottle, still a bit cloudy.

Planning out my next brew, maybe a stout or porter?
I'm already thinking about a brew-in-a-bag.

Back