Brettish Bulldog Old Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chadwick

Reaction score
Picked up a bottle of this stuff. It's the only beer I could find that is brewed with some brett. I'm trying to get an idea of whether or not experimenting with brett is something I want to do. This, sadly, is the only brett beer I have been able to find thus far.

I haven't opened it yet. I'm letting it chill for a day and will possibly try it tomorrow evening. I'll chime in then to offer up my brett-virgin experience with this beer.

What I do know is that it apparently isn't an accurate representation of an old-ale style, which it claims to be. That's fine with me, I'm just wanting to find out what this horse blanket thing is all about. I am a bit nervous though. One review I read about it included comments where the reviewer accused the brewery as passing off an infected batch of sub-par beer as old-ale. This same reviewer claimed that prison pruno tastes better. :eek:

If anyone here has tried this yet, please chime in. Prepare me for what I will be partaking in.

EDIT: Oh, forgot to mention that I scored a single bottle of Orval too. I've heard it has a bit of brett in it as well.

Picked up a bottle of this stuff. It's the only beer I could find that is brewed with some brett. I'm trying to get an idea of whether or not experimenting with brett is something I want to do. This, sadly, is the only brett beer I have been able to find thus far.

I haven't opened it yet. I'm letting it chill for a day and will possibly try it tomorrow evening. I'll chime in then to offer up my brett-virgin experience with this beer.

What I do know is that it apparently isn't an accurate representation of an old-ale style, which it claims to be. That's fine with me, I'm just wanting to find out what this horse blanket thing is all about. I am a bit nervous though. One review I read about it included comments where the reviewer accused the brewery as passing off an infected batch of sub-par beer as old-ale. This same reviewer claimed that prison pruno tastes better. :eek:

If anyone here has tried this yet, please chime in. Prepare me for what I will be partaking in.

EDIT: Oh, forgot to mention that I scored a single bottle of Orval too. I've heard it has a bit of brett in it as well.

I have a bottle but I haven't had it yet. I've heard its good, but i don't know much about the brett character. That said, you'll get a better idea of a brett characteristic from orval, the older the better. Young, its crisp and effervescent with some light brett flavor. Some age brings out the hay and a little barnyard funk.

For other brett beers near you, look for Sofie/Matilda from Goose Island, anything from Anchorage. Prairie has a couple too if you can find it. If you find yourself with a free few hours, venture up to the Party Source in Newport on the Ohio River. The place is huge, and probably worth the drive.

Ok, I've tried Orval as a standard. It was really different from what I was expecting. Light, crisp, and sour. Not lip puckering sour, but definitely sour. I didn't get any leather or earthy notes that people sometimes use to describe it, but it wasn't bad.

With Orval being my standard now for a beer with some brett, I open and pour the Brettish Bulldog. Immediately it is clear that this is a completely different animal. The smell is very fruity and sweet. I am definitely detecting a leather-like taste in this one. It is much sweeter than Orval and is as fruity tasting as it smells. That sourness, which I am assuming is brett character, is certainly present. It is darker than Orval and has little to no head in comparison. The Orval had a very large and thick head you could cut with a knife. That isn't present in the Brettish Bulldog.

Final assessment: I don't think brett will become a thing in my home brewing. While it's interesting, I simply don't enjoy it enough to want to make anything that has this sourness thing going on.

Mission accomplished. I wanted to determine whether or not brett characteristics is something that I want to experiment with. While I understand that I have barely scratched the surface of brett influenced brewing, I feel I've seen/tasted enough to know that it isn't something for me.

Different Brett strains do different things. Orval has Brettanomyces Bruxellensis, which is the primary source of the barnyard stuff. Other Brett strains don't necessarily behave like that. I like to put Brettanomyces Clausennii into English ales (especially Old Ale) because Brett C is of English origin, and not Belgian origin. Rather than barnyard funk, it's much fruitier. Pineapple instead of sweaty saddle blanket.

Back