Brett strain in Green Flash Rayon Vert

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahpsp

Reaction score
Does anyone know what strain is in Rayon Vert? I would like to pitch some dregs on a gallon of a tripel. I've got a bottle of Orval and three of Rayon Vert. I know that Orval is supposed to be Brett B, some descriptions of Rayon Vert make it seem like it might have Brett C, but I'm not certain.

According to another site, a brewer there said it was Brux.

image-2176068863.jpg

Just to affirm the post above, I emailed them about it a while back and they told me it was White Labs' Brett Brux.

I know it's Brux, but it doesn't taste quite like aged Orval. I get a different brett character from both. Just goes to show how much brett can vary, I suppose.

I know it's Brux, but it doesn't taste quite like aged Orval. I get a different brett character from both. Just goes to show how much brett can vary, I suppose.

Oh yeah, that's definitely true. Intra-species variation of Brettanomyces is just as high as Saccharomyces. For a project of mine, I have been isolating an insane number of Brettanomyces strains form a whole host of sources. I had 6 of them sequenced through Accugenix, and they were all Brettanomyces bruxellensis. However, the diversity of flavor and aroma across those 6 strains is ridiculous, ranging from really fruity with mild/restrained funk to extraordinarily funky/barnyard.

Back