Brett saison question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Br3w4u

Reaction score
I have a Brett saison that has been aging on cherries for about 5 months now and I am happy with the flavor and aroma but it is kind of thin and watery. Is there anything I could do to fix this before bottling?

A saison should be "dry" crisp and refreshing. Highly attenuated and generally mashed in the 147 to 149 region. The yeast should be the predominate forward aroma and flavor. Uncarbonated, it may present as as "thin". If you are used to darker, hoppy, heavier and malt-forward beers, it may be a bit shocking. Think Asahi or Kirin with a malt backbone instead of rice.

Carb it up and see how it turns out.

If you're really worried you can always add a bit of Calcium Chloride and or Oak chips to it to try and fill out the mouthfeel a bit.

CACO adds softness and body (just boil it in a very small amount of water first then add).

Oak chips adds tannins, which fills out the body a bit as well, and would certainly not be out of place in a saison.

You could also add a bit of both. Neither will hurt!

Thanks for the advice. I like the flavor it has right now so I’m not sure if I want to add any oak flavor. Is there a way to moderate how much flavor you extract from the oak?

With oak chips you want to check frequently for oak intensity. You could also add a little granulated splenda to help out a thin beer, I use it in fruited sours all the time

Don't mess with it. You will probably like it when it gets carbonated.

Back