Brett C Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jready

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi gang, going to brew my standard Mosaic NE IPA tomorrow. 14 gallons split between two fermenters. Half 1368 half Brett C. I know you are supposed to make a big starter my question is should I put it on a stir plate? Also what temp for fermentation?

Thanks in advance!

I know you are supposed to make a big starter my question is should I put it on a stir plate? Also what temp for fermentation?

required reading:
http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Brettanomyces#Starter_Information
http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Brettanomyces_Propagation_Experiment

using a stir plate will results in more & faster growth, at the expense of creating acetic acid (vinegar) in the starter beer. decanting the starter and only pitching the flocc'ed brett should make the acetic barely perceptible. problem: brett is slow to flocc, so you'll need some time in the fridge to get (most of) the cells to settle down.

summary: if you have more than 2 weeks, i'd use a stir plate. 7-8 days on the stir-plate, then a week cold-crashing.

if you don't have that much time, do a non-stirred starter, or a very very lightly stirred starter, then cold crash as long as you can, pour off the cleared wort on top and pitch the lighter/creamy portion.

don't have any advice about temps, sorry. generally brett does well at slightly higher than ale temps, i wouldn't be afraid of fermenting in the 70's.

I just did a NE IPA with WLP645 Brett C. I spun the brett on my stir plate as slowly as I could to barely make a vortex dimple so min O2 would be introduced. I did this for a week and it was very fresh and fruity smelling...no acetic esters, direct pitch 1L flask.

This 100% Brett only in primary took off like a skyrocket and went from 1.057 to 1.009 in 4 days....done....kept at 80F although WLP says go at 85F. I had used Mosaic only in the beer, but the brett kinda took over. I decided to add 2 oz of Galaxy as a dry addition in keg and it brought it right into the zone I wanted. I get a hint of pineapple too...wow! I am smacking my lips on this home run of a beer.

Hi gang, going to brew my standard Mosaic NE IPA tomorrow. 14 gallons split between two fermenters. Half 1368 half Brett C.

what is your source of brett C? is it a vial from white labs? if so, you'll need to do a multi-step starter. there are very few cells in that vial, around 2-3 billion, vs. the 100 billion that regular sacch vials start off with.

pitching a vial of WL brett into a liter or more of starter would be too few cells in too much wort. i would start off with 150-200 ml, ferment that out over 7-10 days, then pitch the whole thing into big regular-sized starter.

what is your source of brett C? is it a vial from white labs? if so, you'll need to do a multi-step starter. there are veryfew cells in that vial, around 2-3 billion, vs. the 100 billion that regular sacch vials start off with.

pitching a vial of WL brett into a liter or more of starter would be too few cells in too much wort. i would start off with 150-200 ml, ferment that out over 7-10 days, then pitch the whole thing into big regular-sized starter.

That is exactly what I have. Thank you for the advice!

I was worried I had totally screwed this up as most of the advice came after brew day. I only made my starter two days in advance and had to leave the morning after brew day on a business trip.

I pitched the two batches early in the AM before leaving. I guess dumb luck pays off sometimes. I came home to healthy fermentation on both! Jury is still out on taste.

Based on what I have learned I will do it differently next time but I will let you all know how it turns out!

Back