Bret B kept the fridge. Usable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveLikesBeer

Reaction score
After reading this post it hit me I've been keeping my Bret B in my fridge for the last 3 weeks. This will be my first attempt at using Bret and was planning on using it in secondary. Roughly how much damage did I do and should I do a starter if it is still usable? Should I go buy another WL vial and dump both (or just the new one) in?

SteveLikesBeer said:
After reading this post it hit me I've been keeping my Bret B in my fridge for the last 3 weeks. This will be my first attempt at using Bret and was planning on using it in secondary. Roughly how much damage did I do and should I do a starter if it is still usable? Should I go buy another WL vial and dump both (or just the new one) in?

Yeah you're fine, unless the mfg date is already way out there. Chad Yakobson was referring to a longer time frame, something like 6 mo to a yr IIRC.

I keep mine in the fridge, and it seems to store like regular yeast. I've stored some from a starter for about 2 years and it started up fine in a fresh starter.

I keep mine in the fridge, and it seems to store like regular yeast. I've stored some from a starter for about 2 years and it started up fine in a fresh starter.

+1. IIRC Chad says the brett doesnt die off in the fridge any faster than sacch, there was just more viable ones at the room temp one, which is where his recommendation for leaving it warm comes from. no need for a starter or another vial just for secondary use

Latest posts

Back