Brass Solenoid Valves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bfinleyui

Reaction score
So I'm working on a (hopefully) cool DIY project for my keezer, using some electronics (mainly arduino), and some solenoid valves to act as shutoffs for my lines (cats, new dog, kids eventually, etc).

All the stainless steel solenoid valves i can find are crazy expensive, like 100+ per.

I am finding a lot of brass ones available for much cheaper, obviously... Reading around, it appears (based on the fact that there is brass inside most cheap faucets in bars/etc) that such a small surface area (the 1/2inch inside the actual valve itself) isn't going to cause any issues with lead/etc?

So I should be safe picking up some cheaper, brass valves to use? Or am I missing something super evil about brass that applies here, but not in all the faucets?

For anyone who's coming across this in the future (in the yeaaaaar two thousssannnnndddd), I ended up finding an ebay seller that has very reasonably priced stainless steel and food-safe plastic valves. I emailed and all their plastics are food safe.

I got a 3/8inch NPT food-safe, normally closed solenoid valve for $22.32 shipped, from a USA seller. If that works, I'll start slowly adding them to my lines, as I come across an extra $20 here and there.

Latest posts

Back