brass fittings in fermenter lids

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eyebinker

Reaction score
So maybe this is paranoia, but I made some lids for my converted sanke fermenters. Saving some money on fittings I just soldered brass compression fittings and a brass barbed fitting into a stainless pot lid. So I know that brass and copper shouldn't come into contact with beer due to the ph level, but I was thinking that with them being in the lid they should never have direct contact with the beer, all the dip tube and thermowells are all stainless. However now I've started to wonder if all the condensation that builds up in the fermenter might be low enough ph to dissolve copper and drip in back into the beer. Any ideas?

You should be okay. A concern might be whether the solder you used was the lead free type for potable water.

Good article from BYO. Worthwhile reading.
From the article: "But like copper, brass is usually stable in wort and will turn dull with regular use as it builds up a passive oxide layer."

http://byo.com/stories/item/1144-metallurgy-for-homebrewers

Read over the cleaning techniques.

You should be okay. A concern might be whether the solder you used was the lead free type for potable water.

Can one even buy leaded solder any more? I know after Jan 1 all brass fittings are "lead free".

Leaded solder is used in electronics, so yes you can buy it. I would not get overly concerned. Yeast has an affinity for heavy metals. Plus I did the math one time the lead in one fitting (the whole fitting not just the surface) is not enough to be a problem if consumed all at once. Lead free is good but you will be fine.

The brass can be "pickled" as well, to relieve any "free lead", I think it's referred to as.

Household vinegar is used in the process.

I have some in the lids of plastic fermenters, and before I installed them, I boiled them in some vinegar.

That John Palmer fella' that makes beer, mentioned something about it in his book......

Back