Brand New/First Time...Merry Xmas!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EddieTheBrewerLADET

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

First off, Merry Christmas and happy holidays to everyone. I just received my first Northern Brewer Essentials Starter Kit which came with the Caribou Slobber Recipe Kit. I do like Brown Ales, but I would much prefer to start with a kick ass IPA kit to begin my journey. If I describe what I enjoy , can you recommend me the best, easiest recipe kit to match this? Id really appreciate it.

My ideal beer:
IPA. Quite hoppy, citrus, slighty floral notes, highly carbonated. I like the Firestone Union Jack and I also love many other Micro Brew IPAs, especially from my home state of MI. Im looking for a kit that excels not only in being the best to match these flavor profiles, but also that is easy for a beginner to brew.

Input is greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Edward

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

First off, Merry Christmas and happy holidays to everyone. I just received my first Northern Brewer Essentials Starter Kit which came with the Caribou Slobber Recipe Kit. I do like Brown Ales, but I would much prefer to start with a kick ass IPA kit to begin my journey. If I describe what I enjoy , can you recommend me the best, easiest recipe kit to match this? Id really appreciate it.

My ideal beer:
IPA. Quite hoppy, citrus, slighty floral notes, highly carbonated. I like the Firestone Union Jack, I like Bells Two Hearted, and I also love many other Micro Brew IPAs, especially from my home state of MI. Im looking for a kit that excels not only in being the best to match these flavor profiles, but also that is easy for a beginner to brew.

Input is greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Edward

Northern Brewer's Dead Ringer is a very popular kit, comes in an easy extract version, and is based on Two-Hearted ale.

welcome to the obsession
:mug:

I've read that as well but it also doesn't strike me as a very citrusy beer. Also, I don't have a second stage fermenter either. Is there a specific technique, if you're bottling, to ensure a high amount of carbonation similar to that of beer on tap?

You don't need a secondary, you can dry hop in primary. Carbonation level is adjusted by the amount of priming sugar you use. Here is one calculator. I suggested that kit because you mentioned Two hearted. Centennial is actually pretty citrusy I find, you could also look for recipes with cascade and amarillo or add some in. For straight citrus those are my top 3.

Try the Dead Ringer IPA after some brewing experience. It is supposed to be a Two Hearted Ale clone, but tastes much better.

IPAs' need about the same experience level, but temperature control for the lower OG IPAs' will be less of a problem.
Check out the different IPAs' Northern Brewer offers to help make the decision for the direction you will go.

IPAs' need about the same experience level, but temperature control for the lower OG IPAs' will be less of a problem.
Check out the different IPAs' Northern Brewer offers to help make the decision for the direction you will go.

I have and I still feel confused. Haha. What are a few kits you would recommend to a first time brewer that will achieve a higher ABV IPA that has citrus notes and high level of carbonation?

Oh, and realistically, how long will the entire process take?

I have and I still feel confused. Haha. What are a few kits you would recommend to a first time brewer that will achieve a higher ABV IPA that has citrus notes and high level of carbonation?

Oh, and realistically, how long will the entire process take?

Dead Ringer is the first and only IPA I have brewed. Just recently became interested in IPAs after tasting New Belgiums Ranger and Great Danes IPA.

I had the Dead Ringer in the primary for three weeks then dry hopped, in the primary, for two weeks. Was planning a one week dry hop, but shoulder surgery was worked in there. Found the extra week of dry hopping created no problems. Dead Ringer is a 1.064 OG beer. Higher OG beers take longer to bottle condition. Had my first taste at four weeks after bottling. Was really good at six weeks.

You determine the carbonation level by how much priming sugar you use for the bottle conditioning process. High levels of carbonation can give the beer a carbonic bite, which will diminish the contribution of the hops.

I usually use this carbonation calculator.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

Brewer's Best IIPA is an easy kit, good flavor, and fairly high ABV (~8%). It' makes a great IPA. I'd get the kit as well as a couple extra ounces of Cascade to put in a dry hop.

Brewer's Best IIPA is an easy kit, good flavor, and fairly high ABV (~8%). It' makes a great IPA. I'd get the kit as well as a couple extra ounces of Cascade to put in a dry hop.

Which Brewer's Best kit are you referring to? Their websites says there India Pale Ale is only about 6%...? Curious

Midwest Hop Lord is an excellent kit. Watch out for the high ABV (north of 9%). Give it plenty of time. Midwest kits always come with decent directions, and that helped me big time when I started

Back