"Bourbon" vanilla beans?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juno_Malone

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm getting ready to add some vanilla beans to a White Chocolate Huckleberry Stout I've got in primary. I was at the grocery store the other day, and they sell "Bourbon Vanilla Beans" in little tubes, $5 a tube which looks to have one or two beans in it. My question is - are these beans soaked in Bourbon, or do they have an actual Bourbon flavor? Or is that just the name for a variety of vanilla bean? I'm not looking to impart any sort of Bourbon flavor to my beer (I'll be soaking the beans in White Creme de Cacao). I'm wondering if these beans will work fine for my purpose, or if I need to swing by my LHBS which carries these "Bourbon" vanilla beans as well as "normal" vanilla beans.

Thanks!

From the interwebs

“Bourbon Vanilla” is not the name of the alcohol used to make it. Bourbon vanilla is the name for all vanilla grown in Madagascar and other islands in the Indian Ocean, including Comoros and Réunion. Réunion was formerly known as the Île Bourbon, and it is the name of that island that gave Bourbon Vanilla its name.

From the interwebs

“Bourbon Vanilla” is not the name of the alcohol used to make it. Bourbon vanilla is the name for all vanilla grown in Madagascar and other islands in the Indian Ocean, including Comoros and Réunion. Réunion was formerly known as the Île Bourbon, and it is the name of that island that gave Bourbon Vanilla its name.

Awesome, thanks! Looks like I'll go with the Bourbon beans then as they are considerably cheaper than what the LHBS is offering (and better packaged too, airtight tubes as opposed to plastic bags at the LHBS).

Back