Bought the wrong yeast, WYeast 1007 for an IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjwor

Reaction score
So, I stopped by my LHBS on my way home and grabbed the Brewer's Best IPA kit along with a few other goodies. I decided I'd use a WYeast Activator Pack as I didn't realize it came with yeast. Got home and realized I bought German Ale 1007 on accident. Would this be a good yeast to use for an IPA?

My Options I have:

1. Use the Wyeast 1007
2. Use Lallemand Dry-97 that came with the kit
3. Use Safale US-05 that I have in the fridge

I have about 2 hours until pitch time, Thanks for suggestions!

1007 is a clean yeast so it could work just fine. Just make sure to ferment it cool so you get the clean flavor. US-05 is a more traditional IPA yeast (Chico strain)so that could work too. Either would work.

I have never used the other yeast so I cannot comment on that.

The 1007 would be fine. My experience with it is that it is pretty clean if you ferment at around 60 degrees but gets fruity if fermented much warmer. I would say if you did not make a starter just pitch us05.

Thanks Guys! Pitched the yeast last night, it is hanging out in my chamber now!

The only slight concern I have is with the minor adjustments I made to the kit my OG was 1.070, Will this be too much on this yeast?

I would say yes. You will probably see some of the fruity esters associated with stressed yeast/underpitching from 1007. I would say any time you use non dry yeast a starter is necessary unless your og is under 1.035-1.04. With that said you will still end up with beer.

It'll be fine, that yeast is a monster, and is super clean,,,,personally that yeast would be on my short list of "desert island" ingredients.

I'm guessing that since you posted 2 hours before pitching without having committed to using the smackpack you bought, that you didn't activate the pack 3 hours before pitching like it says to, did you?

I'm guessing that since you posted 2 hours before pitching without having committed to using the smackpack you bought, that you didn't activate the pack 3 hours before pitching like it says to, did you?

The activator pack doesn't do anything besides "proof" the yeast. You will need to make a starter if you want to increase cell count and activity.

1007 is a beast. it does give some fruity esters when warm, as mentioned above. but if you keep the temp on the low end, it finishes out fairly clean and dry. The first time I used this yeast was also the first time I ever needed a blow-off tube, so...yeah.

By the time I pitched it had not quite 3 hours, more likely between 2 and 2 and a half hours of activation. The pack was swollen, and it is working away now in the chamber at 60*...

I'll hope for the best!

Well, Decided to take a peak at how it was going and it seems the yeast are really liking the beer!

P1110384.jpg

Keep in mind I have the temp sensor is taped to the fermentation bucket and is reading right at 15.5* C

The Beer already smells amazing!

By the time I pitched it had not quite 3 hours, more likely between 2 and 2 and a half hours of activation. The pack was swollen, and it is working away now in the chamber at 60*...

I'll hope for the best!

Honestly, you don't even "need" to activate it. I was merely pointing it out to you for future.

Back