Bought a 3 gallon keg kit from Midwest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankjones

Reaction score
Bought this https://www.midwestsupplies.com/3-gallon-cornelius-keg-system. $129 on sale.

I'm going to push it with a paintball tank, with an adapter. I don't have the space for a full on co tank.

How many times will a 22 ounce tank push a small keg.

I brew small batches and just hate bottling. My recipes/ brews are 3 gallons.

This set up was on sale for $129 usually $169 so I grabbed it on an impulse. Also had a coupon code for g FREE shipping.

Well all you have to do is search how many times you'd get out of a 5lb tank and scale down.

I've heard 5-8 carbonates+dispenses (for 5 gallon kegs) from 5lb. 5lb is 80 oz and you have 22oz.

I'd suggest carbonating naturally with sugar in the keg and only using the little co2 tank for dispensing.

Good input, definitely will use the sugar to carbonate

Well all you have to do is search how many times you'd get out of a 5lb tank and scale down.

I've heard 5-8 carbonates+dispenses (for 5 gallon kegs) from 5lb. 5lb is 80 oz and you have 22oz.

I'd suggest carbonating naturally with sugar in the keg and only using the little co2 tank for dispensing.

I have three 2.5 gallon kegs with space for only a one in the kegerator. Not only will you use a lot less CO2 priming, you'll resist the urge to to tap the beer right after fermentation. But when you are ready to tap the keg, it's already carbonated so one day to cool it down and you are ready to pour.

Fwiw, I keep a cartridge kit on hand as a back up or for when I want to take a keg to a friend.

A keg ran dry last night and my smoked stout was ready to keg (two weeks in the fermentor). So I disconnected the tapped keg, washed it out (very easy) and filled it with ez clean. put the lid on and hooked it up to the kegerator, and ran about a quart. Dumped that and ran another quart, disconnected and dipped the connections in the ez clean to rinse off any old beer. Hooked up the new keg.

Dumped a few qt. of the ez clean from the keg into a container, and soak the keg lid and hose. Dumped the rest down the drain. Added an ounce of priming sugar (already boiled and cooled) onto the keg, hooked up the hose to the fermentor spigot and let it roll. Put the lid back on, hooked it back up to the CO2, and vented a few times, added a sticky to know what and when I put in the keg, washed the fermentor and put poured a new pint and relaxed.
Total time was all in was about 20 minutes. I'd still be bottling right now.

You are going to love kegging.

I hate bottling

I have three 2.5 gallon kegs with space for only a one in the kegerator. Not only will you use a lot less CO2 priming, you'll resist the urge to to tap the beed right after fermentation. Bit when you are ready to tap the keg, it's already carbonated so one day to cool it down and you are ready to pour.

Fwiw, I keep a cartridge kit on hand as a back up or for when I want to take a keg to a friend.

A keg ran dry last night and my smoked stout was ready to keg (two weeks in the fermentor). So I disconnected the tapped keg, washed it out (very easy) and filled it with ez clean. put the lid on and hooked it up to the kegerator, and ran about a quart. Dumped that and ran another quart, disconnected and dipped the connections in the ez clean to rinse off any old beer. Hooked up the new keg.

Dumped a few qt. of the ez clean from the keg into a container, and soak the keg lid and hose. Dumped the rest down the drain. Added an ounce of priming sugar (already boiled and cooled) onto the keg, hooked up the hose to the fermentor spigot and let it roll. Put the lid back on, hooked it back up to the CO2, and vented a few times, added a sticky to know what and when I put in the keg, washed the fermentor and put poured a new pint and relaxed.
Total time was all in was about 20 minutes. I'd still be bottling right now.

You are going to love begging.

Latest posts

Back