botttling a belgian blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ComcastWineRookie

Reaction score
after primary fermentation I put by carboy into my chest freezer set to 38 degrees for the last week, now I am getting ready to bottle. I cold crashed it to clear the beer and have the yeast drop out. now when I bottle and add priming sugar should I add some fresh yeast to carbonate?

Lots of people bottle carb after cold crashing without adding any additional yeast. It's my standard process. There should still be plenty of yeast in suspension to eat the priming sugar.

Brew on :mug:

after primary fermentation I put by carboy into my chest freezer set to 38 degrees for the last week, now I am getting ready to bottle. I cold crashed it to clear the beer and have the yeast drop out. now when I bottle and add priming sugar should I add some fresh yeast to carbonate?

Agreed, there will be enough yeast to carbonate...But. I believe that something magical happens to Belgian Style beer during bottle conditioning. Since the first time I added more yeast at bottling, I will not bottle without it. Belgian breweries believe this as well and add 1 to 3 million cells per ml at bottling (the latter is 60 billion cells for 5 gallons!).

Try this if you can and report back: After bottling half your beer without yeast, add 0.5 to 1 gram of Bell Saison dry yeast (rehydrate if possible). If you don't have a good scale, 0.25 to 0.5 tsp will get you in the ballpark. The beer without yeast will carbonate but the beer with added yeast will have different flavor profile that I bet you will enjoy.

Agreed, there will be enough yeast to carbonate...But. I believe that something magical happens to Belgian Style beer during bottle conditioning. Since the first time I added more yeast at bottling, I will not bottle without it. Belgian breweries believe this as well and add 1 to 3 million cells per ml at bottling (the latter is 60 billion cells for 5 gallons!).

Try this if you can and report back: After bottling half your beer without yeast, add 0.5 to 1 gram of Bell Saison dry yeast (rehydrate if possible). If you don't have a good scale, 0.25 to 0.5 tsp will get you in the ballpark. The beer without yeast will carbonate but the beer with added yeast will have different flavor profile that I bet you will enjoy.

interesting... I always add yeast when I bottle from the carboy I'm racking from (I never cold crash it prior bottling, I do that after bottle conditioning) Once I have it bottled I raise the temp to 75-80. I tend to agree that you get a nice nose from bottle conditioning by I read a lot of "experts" say that there is no flavor gained during the bottle conditioning. I tend to keep the same yeast, changing yeast might make the beer to dry or too sweet (might actually get some bombs)

Bottom line when it comes to Belgian yeast something is happening and you get some esters/fruity notes from bottle conditioning.

Maybe I am crazy... wont surprise me :)

Back