Bottom Dump Valve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rondacker

Reaction score
I am finally starting my E-brewery build: I'm making the boil keggle, and want to install a bottom dump valve. My question is; silver solder a threaded insert to the keg's top opening, flip over and remove the "bottom", or remove the top, as I did for my HLT, and silver solder to the bottom. Additionally, how would I install a pick up tube with the bottom dump?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Steve

I had already cut the top off when it became "cool" to flip the keg over to use the opening as the dump valve with a triclover. From a financial standpoint the triclover fittings get pricey fast. Silver soldering is pretty easy once you get a feel for it, and if it doesn't come out the way you like it you can re-do the fitting with a little elbow grease and cleaning.

Having said all that, I just completed the first brew on my E system with bottom drains on the HLT, MLT, and BK. In retrospect I would have gone with a dip tube and side drain on the BK as it makes it hard to keep all the gunk from getting into the fermenter with the bottom drain. Granted this was my first run and I'll figure out a work around but those are my initial thoughts.

Good Luck!

Having said all that, I just completed the first brew on my E system with bottom drains on the HLT, MLT, and BK. In retrospect I would have gone with a dip tube and side drain on the BK as it makes it hard to keep all the gunk from getting into the fermenter with the bottom drain. Granted this was my first run and I'll figure out a work around but those are my initial thoughts.

Good Luck!
I'm very comfortable with Silver soldering..As for the drain, it would be just for cleaning in place. I would use a dip tube and side valve for processes.
Make any sense?

Back