Bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zonk007

Reaction score
So I am a week into fermentation on my first brew . I understand that it is ok to bottle after three consecutive days of the same hydrometer reading. My question is will all the foam
and stuff on trub on top eventually fall to the bottom? Should I wait for that? Also is there benefits of letting it sit after its ready to bottle? Thanks

You should let it sit another 3 weeks for clarity, and once you transfer to your bottling vessel the trub will be left behind.

+1 for letting it sit.

If you leave it in the fermenter after it is done it will be fine as long as you keep it sealed. The gases fill up the headroom of the fermenter keeping air and other nasties out.

That said once you have your consecutive readings there's also no reason you can't then bottle. But in my experience, better to be safe than have bottle bombs

The beer won't be done in a week. Let it sit till you get a stable gravity reading a couple days apart. Then give it 3-7 days to clean up & settle out clear or slightly misty. Then prime & bottle. This is the basic rule of thumb (& hydrometer) I follow for average gravity beers.

My understanding is you need a minimum of 2 weeks in the fermenter. Then a minimum of 2 weeks once they're bottled. The important thing to remember I'd to just keep it sealed. I left my first batch in the primary for 6 weeks simply because I had not accumulated enough bottles for bottling. I tried a beer after 2 weeks and decided it needed at least another week.

Beer does not follow a guide line but does it's own thing in its time. Some beers will be ready in 2 weeks and others might take up to a month. Best thing to do is get a pipeline going so you can let the beer sit and finish out in its own time.

3 weeks in primary is typical for me to finish fermenting & settle out clear or slightly misty. And 3 weeks in the bottles at 70F or so is the norm for carbing & conditioning. Then give them a week in the fridge to settle any chill haze & get co2 into solution. This also helps compact the yeast trub on the bottom of the bottles to enable you to pour off more beer into your glass before the yeast comes up to the shoulder of the bottle.

Back