Bottling with plastic bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MInoobbrewer

Reaction score
Ok so I got a few batches under my belt and have been bottling in glass pretty well. The holidays are coming up and I may wanna give some beer as a gift. Now, my family is pretty clumsy so can I re-use old soda bottles for bottling? The 1 liter bottles? I figure they already have a burst pressure equal to glass bottling. What's your take on this idea?
I can tighten the caps pretty good and can even wrap the cap in electrical tape or use plumbers tape on the threading.

This is doable but if you are using clear bottles you will need to wrap them in something since the light will skunk your beer. Also be sure you clean and sanitize them as you would with your glass bottles.

It works fine, plastic bottles can usually hold more carbonation. You may want to use seltzer bottles, since they won't have any residual soda aroma. Just keep them in the dark. Thread tape isn't needed (or wanted) since the cap liner makes the seal, not the threads.

I use plastic bottles all the time. Never a residual soda smell/taste.

I use plastic bottles all the time. Never a residual soda smell/taste.

I've found it's mostly in the seal under the cap. It's like when you get a new (to you) keg, often the only way to get the soda smell out is to swap out all the soft rubber parts.

I have used 12oz PET bottles for 12 to 24 bottles of all my brews - to share with family and friends, so I don't have to collect glass bottles later, or for my own use - drink first, save the glass bottles for later.

I got lots of grandkids that drink sodas - I have an unlimited supply. But had to convince them to get the 12oz bottles. Lately, there have been sells on this size, generally $10 or less for 3 8-packs (24 bottles), almost cheap enough to just buy and dump the soda.

One of the nice things about these PET bottles is that you can fill to proper level, then squeeze the bottle until the liquid level is at the top of the neck, and quickly screw the cap on. This eliminates air in the bottle, and you know it's carbonated when the dent goes away, and the bottle is very firm when squeezed.

Yes, they're easy to sanitize. I rinse with tap water, rack to dry until ready to use. On bottling day, I dip both bottle & cap in Star San, shake off, then fill.

I've never noticed any carryover flavors, from cola, 7up, DrPepper, orange or any common sodas. It's been warned never to use a ROOT BEER bottle, as the taste/smell never goes away. But, I have bottled a few heavy beers (strong ale, stout, DIPA, etc) and really didn't detect any carryover smell/taste, but I don't have much of a discriminating palate.

I've never had a PET bottle cap leak, or lose carbonation, but I screw them tightly when filling, then, later, tighten again using a paper towel or rag for better grip. This has backfired a few times - having to use a pair of pliars to loosen the caps, to drink.

and yes, store them in a box or dark closet - don't want them getting 'skunky'. Note: a case of 24 - 12oz PET bottles fit nicely in a 5-gallon bucket, using a piece of cardboard as a shelf for the 2nd level.

Strip the label from the PET bottle - you'll never get it all off, and I've never found anything to remove the spot of label adhesive. And address labels are great and cheap for simple identifiers of what is inside. Or, just write on the bottle with a permanent magic marker.

yeah, I know, it looks really tacky -- Shut up and drink the beer, it's homebrew.

Thank you everybody for all the help. I just joined this forum but have been reading it for about six months. I got Brandon_O's Graff almost at it's end point right now and since that's 80% cider I think my family would love it. Presentation may bee something to think about but good to know the bottles could be used. Maybe something to keep in mind if I ever wanna shop some down south. I mean "yeast samples" *cough* but alright, I'll start saving them. I have a bunch of water bottles so I may try some of those. Well brothers, thanks again and I'll have a home brew for y'all

Thank you everybody for all the help. I just joined this forum but have been reading it for about six months. I got Brandon_O's Graff almost at it's end point right now and since that's 80% cider I think my family would love it. Presentation may bee something to think about but good to know the bottles could be used. Maybe something to keep in mind if I ever wanna shop some down south. I mean "yeast samples" *cough* but alright, I'll start saving them. I have a bunch of water bottles so I may try some of those. Well brothers, thanks again and I'll have a home brew for y'all
I would not use water bottles. They are not designed to hold carbonation pressure.

I would not use water bottles. They are not designed to hold carbonation pressure.

Good call. Thanks. Like I said in the OP I I'm just gonna do a few 1 liter bottles so I got plenty of time to drink down a soda or two. Maybe even pick up a few labels from office depot

Latest posts

Back