Bottling - twist off?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjlabonte96

Reaction score
Will a wing capper seal twist off bottle? Researched a little online and got mixed reviews. I have some normal bottles and some twist off, I just wasn’t sure if the twist offs are reusable with a wing capper

Twist offs may seal with a wing capper but are more likely to seal with a bench capper. Even with a bench capper a seal is an iffy thing. How much risk are you willing to take?

Might be better to buy cases of beer you like that come with pry off caps. Local bar you frequent may even save them for if you are in good standing.

Twist offs may seal with a wing capper but are more likely to seal with a bench capper. Even with a bench capper a seal is an iffy thing. How much risk are you willing to take?

Might be better to buy cases of beer you like that come with pry off caps. Local bar you frequent may even save them for if you are in good standing.

+1
For me, they seal most of the time, but sometimes not. For me, it's definitely not worth loosing a few. Have been using all pry-off caps for several years.

I got 2 cases of bombers from a local sushi place and tipped her 2 bottles of homebrew. Kirin and Sapporo bottles peel easy too.

If you buy beer for the bottles stay away from plastic labels and anything with foil (Leffe). I don't like Amber dosequis either. Guiness (shrink wrapped), New Belgium or left hand are easy to peel.

Also avoid Anchor bottles. They are the only bottle to break on me while capping, and they did it multiple times.

Twist offs may seal with a wing capper but are more likely to seal with a bench capper.

Why would that be? Both style cappers crimp the caps the same way. The only difference is where they anchor the bottle. Winged style squeezes the cap from a feature on the neck while bench cappers squeeze the whole bottle.

Why would that be? Both style cappers crimp the caps the same way. The only difference is where they anchor the bottle. Winged style squeezes the cap from a feature on the neck while bench cappers squeeze the whole bottle.
All bottles do not have the same design dimensions. The wing capper relies on catching the lip below the mouth of the bottle to create downward pressure for crimping. The bench capper only uses downward pressure to crimp the cap.

The glass on twist on bottles is thinner so you run a risk of breaking them when prying the cap off. Not worth it IMO.

I got 2 cases of bombers from a local sushi place and tipped her 2 bottles of homebrew. Kirin and Sapporo bottles peel easy too.

If you buy beer for the bottles stay away from plastic labels and anything with foil (Leffe). I don't like Amber dosequis either. Guiness (shrink wrapped), New Belgium or left hand are easy to peel.
Can you elaborate on why bottles with foil over the caps should be avoided?

The glass on twist on bottles is thinner so you run a risk of breaking them when prying the cap off. Not worth it IMO.

I have never had a twist-off bottle break from opening it with an opener. As for sealing them, I have re-capped twist-off bottles with good results. The caps are the same and you can twist them to open when capping them at home.

Back