Bottling kegged beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgiaMead

Reaction score
I dont have a beer gun or time to make one today. I do have a growler filler. If I purged tye bottles with co2 and used the growler filler, should this work to be able to transport beer in bottles to friends and possibly to bottle for a competition?seems to me like it would work but wanna get everyone opinion

I dont have a beer gun or time to make one today. I do have a growler filler. If I purged tye bottles with co2 and used the growler filler, should this work to be able to transport beer in bottles to friends and possibly to bottle for a competition?seems to me like it would work but wanna get everyone opinion

I do this all of the time. No need to purge the bottles, just turn off the co2 and let some pressure out of the keg so that the bottle fills slowly and without excessive foam. On my setup, 5psi seems to be about right for bottle filling where 10psi is where it normally is for serving.

Rinse your bottles with cold water first (sanitizer is also a good idea if you'll be storing the bottles for any amount of time) as a cold wet bottle results in less foaming than a warm dry bottle.

Ideally, a small amount of foam fills the head space of the bottle, you cap on foam and that ensures that there is only co2 in the head space.

I have great results with this method for both bottles and growlers and even had a couple of beers do very well in competition with it.

+1 to TallDan. Not for long time storage, but for taking with you it works fine. Sometimes I will bump up the CO2 the night before since you do loose some carbonation and that will create your foam to top off the bottle.

I agree with the short term consumption. For anything longer than a week or so, I wouldnt use a growler filler. Even if you turn the pressure down to next to nothing, you'll still get more foam and O2 exposure than you'd have with a beer gun

I actually asked a similar question here in case you wanted to hear other opinions:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=525688

Back