Bottling from a keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billk911

Reaction score
Ok. Here is the deal. I made an Amber Ale that turned out really well. We have a local home brew competition coming up in a couple weeks. Problem is my beer is in a keg. Would the beer hold carbonation really well if I just put it into a bottle and capped it the day of the event? It may be a dumb question but one I thought I would ask.

As long as the beer is already carbonated, it should hold it's fizz for the day. Good luck in the competition! :D

I don't have any threads offhand cause I'm on my phone but there are a few ways to bottle from keg that hold well for months or even years. Specifically search for BierMuncher's Bottle Filler (BMBF), cheapest/best solution and what I use for bottling from keg

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/we-no-need-no-stinking-beer-gun-24678/

Do that! It works great and it reduces the foaming that can cause such problems when filling a bottle from the keg. I've sent all of my competition beers in with that procedure- it'll stay carbed indefinitely so you can even bottle a few extra to keep on hand for the future or for gifts.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/we-no-need-no-stinking-beer-gun-24678/

Do that! It works great and it reduces the foaming that can cause such problems when filling a bottle from the keg. I've sent all of my competition beers in with that procedure- it'll stay carbed indefinitely so you can even bottle a few extra to keep on hand for the future or for gifts.

+1 That's the link I was thinking of! Works great. If you would rather do it straight from a perlick tap, there are some options around for adapters you can hook up too, the Bowie Bottler is the one I use for my perlick 575 but there's another one for older 4xx style perlick's too, all work on the same principle as the BMBF with great success.

+1 on the thread mentioned above. I've done it many times and it works like an absolute charm. However, the small things are very, very important to have success with the BierMuncher bottle filler. The only thing that can really go wrong is excessive foam, so your strategy is to make sure that doesn't happen and that means having everything involved in the process as cold as possible. So, your beer should be as cold as possible, and your bottles should be as cold as possible--I freeze mine. Even a few degrees difference in temperature increases foaming exponentially. But the process can work really, really great if you are careful. I would also suggest over-carbing by a few psi to compensate for losing a bit of carbonation in the transfer, but I am not sure if that is really necessary.

There is also this method which another forum member came up with. It looks pretty sweet but I haven't used it. I'm not 100% sure if he is still selling them but it might be worth looking at. Similar to BierMuncher's method but this way you don't have to mess with your regulator and can fill it directly from your tap (may be exclusive to Perlick taps, so I apologize if you don't have these).

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f41/bottling-wand-perlick-525-75-aka-bowie-bottler-228344/

I use the "we need no stinking beer gun" method and it works very good.. I however keep my kegs at room temp so I use my regulator at 28psi wich if I slip and let out too much air at anytime I end up with a gushing bottle... I now have a little bleeder valve hooked to a ball needle through the stopper and that solved that problem... it was cheap enough to try and it works very good.. Still have one of my original bottles I first filled over a year ago and you can see the carbonation still there...

Latest posts

Back