bottling bucket with or without airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gravity

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My bottling buck has a lid with a grommet + grommet + airlock

Sometime I put the airlock on it while bottling - other time I don't

Its way faster to bottle without the airlock as i'm assuming air helps push it out faster

question here is should i worry about oxidation? or let it roll?

Other beers i've bottled this way are fine - only curious what others do

You're pulling volume out so it has to be replaced. The airlock won't stop it, just make it take longer which is more time exposed.

Just do it without the lid.

Or you can use a CO2 system and flush the headspace of the bottling bucket. If I'm using buckets in lieu of a conical or otherwise method of closed transfer, I do that while racking to keg. It's no substitute for a true closed transfer but it's better than nothing.

You're pulling volume out so it has to be replaced. The airlock won't stop it, just make it take longer which is more time exposed.

Just do it without the lid.

Or you can use a CO2 system and flush the headspace of the bottling bucket. If I'm using buckets in lieu of a conical or otherwise method of closed transfer, I do that while racking to keg. It's no substitute for a true closed transfer but it's better than nothing.

Go spurs

My bottling buck has a lid with a grommet + grommet + airlock

Sometime I put the airlock on it while bottling - other time I don't

Its way faster to bottle without the airlock as i'm assuming air helps push it out faster

question here is should i worry about oxidation? or let it roll?

Other beers i've bottled this way are fine - only curious what others do
no need to airlock while bottling. I'd keep a loose lid on if for nothing more than keep random things from falling in

that won't prevent oxidation, though.

Let the yeast and priming sugar worry about that....or do we now have a lodo approach to bottling as well...homey just wants to bottle his beer without fear lol

Just set the lid on top of the bottling bucket when bottling in case there are any birds dropping bombs and don’t worry so much [emoji23]

Or get a counter pressure bottle filler and fill from a spunded naturally carbed keg....or not....

that won't prevent oxidation, though.
nothing will totally prevent oxidation. But we can do our best to prevent it as much as possible. We're not stirring it up like a blender sloshing it around making violent bubbles. The ONLY time we should do that is from the boil kettle to the fermenter prior to pitching yeast. We're "quietly and gently" stirring to mix our priming solution into the beer, or transferring to a different vessel- be it a secondary ,bottling bucket ,or bottles or keg if you do that. If everyone beginning brewing would just remember the basics ,the do's and don't's ,their brew days will go fine without worry. Once you get that process/concepts down without having to check the instructions or the forum every step , then you should go ahead and try the higher tech levels of brewing.
Without sounding condescending to anyone, IMO , EVERYONE should read the Papazian books as they begin brewing. Its easy to read, easy to understand, step by step and spelled out. The illustrations and descriptions tell you what to do , why to do it and what to expect .
keep it simple.

Back