Bottling a Sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChadChaney

Reaction score
I apologize in advance, I am sure there are threads detailing this, but I searched and didn't see what I was looking for.

I have a few sour beers, a Flanders and a few BW's spiked w Jolly Pumpkin dregs, that I want to bottle. These are my first sours, so I am looking for a somewhat detailed How-To on the best way to bottle them. Do I need to add sugar a few days in advance, pitch some fresh yeast, use wine yeast, etc. Any insight would be appreciated.

I apologize in advance, I am sure there are threads detailing this, but I searched and didn't see what I was looking for.

I have a few sour beers, a Flanders and a few BW's spiked w Jolly Pumpkin dregs, that I want to bottle. These are my first sours, so I am looking for a somewhat detailed How-To on the best way to bottle them. Do I need to add sugar a few days in advance, pitch some fresh yeast, use wine yeast, etc. Any insight would be appreciated.

YMMV, but I have bottled some kriek that I blended with 20L of lambic from Cantillon that I aged on cherries for about 9 months. All I did was add enough dextrose to attain about 3.5 volumes and it carbed up fine. It's like champagne. Those critters are quite resilient and will eat whatever they can.

depending how quickly you want them to carbonate, you don't need to add yeast.

personally i like to add a little champagne yeast to anything older than a few months for fast, even carbonation. brett will carbonate the bottles but it can take months.

first, make sure gravity hasn't changed over the last few months. next, pitch a fifth or a quarter of rehydrated champagne/wine yeast at bottling. use an online priming calculator (like http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/) to figure out how much sugar to add, be sure to boil it beforehand. add cooled sugar syrup to bottling bucket, rack beer on top in such a way as to create a swirling motion (this will mix the beer), add rehydrated yeast, and bottle. store 3 weeks at 70-72*F and you should be good to go. age as desired/able.

Back