Bottling 2 different batches, same day, one bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILMSTMF

Reaction score
Cue the two girls, one cup jokes.

Have two different brews ready to bottle on same day but only have one bottling bucket. After bottling the first brew, a 4% American/India pale, what should be cleaning procedures to prep for the 8% barleywine?

• Hot water rinse, starsan, bottle
Or
• oxi soak, rinse, starsan, bottle

If the latter, how long of a soak for each round?
Thanks!

I would recommend wash with soap and hot water
Rinse with hot water
Sanitize with Star San
Bottle as normal.

I never use soap on any of my wine or brewing equipment. Oxyclean works great. But if I was bottling back-to-back batches, I would just do a hot water rinse and a quick sanitizing and get on with it.

I often bottle back-to-back. Two batches, one day, one bottling bucket. I do it just like you described, I'll do the lighter of the two first if I can. When I'm done bottling the first batch, I dump what's left in a glass and fill the bottling bucket with the next batch. No washing. No rinsing. No StarSan. No problem. I seriously doubt that the like 1/2 ounce of whatever was in there before is going to significantly affect the taste of the next 5 gallons of beer.

The only concern with that would be if the two yeast strains are different enough that you end up with unexpected extra attenuation in the bottles of the second batch

I've done it many times, with full batches and one gallon batches.

When one is done, Just rack the second beer onto the small amount that remains of the first one. A few ounces of a beer mixed in with 5 gallons of another (about 650 ozs) will not make any difference.

I don't bother doing anything with the siphon equipment between beers either.

Now use common sense about mixing yeasts. If the yeasts are similar (attenuation), don't worry about the order. But if you have a higher attenuating yeast in one vs the other (say 3711 vs Windsor, or almost any other yeast) then bottle the beer with the lower attenuating yeast first.

If one has Brett, then that one would be the last one to bottle.

I've done it many times, with full batches and one gallon batches.

When one is done, Just rack the second beer onto the small amount that remains of the first one. A few ounces of a beer mixed in with 5 gallons of another (about 650 ozs) will not make any difference.

I don't bother doing anything with the siphon equipment between beers either.

Now use common sense about mixing yeasts. If the yeasts are similar (attenuation), don't worry about the order. But if you have a higher attenuating yeast in one vs the other (say 3711 vs Windsor, or almost any other yeast) then bottle the beer with the lower attenuating yeast first.

If one has Brett, then that one would be the last one to bottle.
Yep, I don't clean the siphon equipment either. I didn't really think about the yeast since most of what I use is pretty similar, but it's a good thing to note.

Back