bottles from the landfill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gravity

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was able to get a bunch of bottles from the local recyle place - guy was happy to let them go, caveat was that they were given to me as is

I give them a quick rinse, then used my bk to boil the hell out of them - water smelled awful after - any worries with the BK being used for landfill bottles?

I'm going to clean the mess out of it - however worried about lingering nasties

Other than worries about things like lead, cadmium, and other poisonous type stuff (which is a real concern in the waste stream), you don't have to worry about wild yeast, bacteria, mold, etc on your kettle....it will be at boiling temp for at least an hour, and over 170 even longer.

Scrub that kettle and rinse the hell out of it, then do it again. You never know what someone might have had in a bottle that you boiled in there....heroin, meth, cadmium, used as a spit bottle for chew while sucking on a fentanyl pop.... god knows what.

I would also be about the bottles. Beer bottles are soda-lime glass and do not handle large temp changes well, and don't hold up well to abuse. The banging around from handling, and then from your boiling them (less so than they recycling handling) may make some of these have unseen weaknesses until they are pressurized. I wouldn't think twice about bottles from a bar or similar, but I'd steer clear of 'waste stream' bottles. Think of the time you have into cleaning them - and you're still nervous enough to ask.

There are better ways to get bottles that you are willing to put time into. Facebook marketplace ISO (in search of), talk to a friendly bar owner, wedding venue, etc....

It's probably ok, provided you used something like PBW to clean the BK afterwards, and cleaned it well. Can't imagine anything (assuming stainless) that would survive boiling and PBW.

But I have to ask--why not just give them all a good soak in HOT PBW solution (like 150 degrees or so) instead of using a BK?

It's probably ok, provided you used something like PBW to clean the BK afterwards, and cleaned it well. Can't imagine anything (assuming stainless) that would survive boiling and PBW.

But I have to ask--why not just give them all a good soak in HOT PBW solution (like 150 degrees or so) instead of using a BK?

The guy gave me alot - I got greedy- I needed a place to soak/boil them and the only place that fit them all was the bk. I wanted to do this in one shot vs batches over a period of time

Other than worries about things like lead, cadmium, and other poisonous type stuff (which is a real concern in the waste stream), you don't have to worry about wild yeast, bacteria, mold, etc on your kettle....it will be at boiling temp for at least an hour, and over 170 even longer.

Scrub that kettle and rinse the hell out of it, then do it again. You never know what someone might have had in a bottle that you boiled in there....heroin, meth, cadmium, used as a spit bottle for chew while sucking on a fentanyl pop.... god knows what.

I would also be about the bottles. Beer bottles are soda-lime glass and do not handle large temp changes well, and don't hold up well to abuse. The banging around from handling, and then from your boiling them (less so than they recycling handling) may make some of these have unseen weaknesses until they are pressurized. I wouldn't think twice about bottles from a bar or similar, but I'd steer clear of 'waste stream' bottles. Think of the time you have into cleaning them - and you're still nervous enough to ask.

There are better ways to get bottles that you are willing to put time into. Facebook marketplace ISO (in search of), talk to a friendly bar owner, wedding venue, etc....

You just named a bunch of scary stuff - and i'm sure all true
The bag they came in smelled awful - the guy told me they had only just came in from a bars as they only collect that way - not sure if that makes a difference or not

I gave it a good scrubbing with some soap, then reboiled clean water after the scrubbing, later I used some star san to let it soak as I ran out of PBW. I may take all the fitting apart and give them a boil and scrub

Thanks for the input

You just named a bunch of scary stuff - and i'm sure all true
The bag they came in smelled awful - the guy told me they had only just came in from a bars as they only collect that way - not sure if that makes a difference or not

I gave it a good scrubbing with some soap, then reboiled clean water after the scrubbing, later I used some star san to let it soak as I ran out of PBW. I may take all the fitting apart and give them a boil and scrub

Thanks for the input

A bar probably isn’t as bad.

Sorry to be scary - I tend to go ‘worst case scenario’ when dealing with stuff I’ll be drinking or sharing with others.

Latest posts

Back