bottled my neipa too soon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thiagoedwardo

Reaction score
Hi, was making my first neipa, lots of dryhopping and hopstand, cold crashed it for 6 days and bottled it for bottle conditioning.
Opened the fisrt one today after 8 days of conditioning, its already fully carbonated, but had a good amount of hop burn, and there is a good amount of hop still in suspension.
So, i was considering if there is a way to save this beer, maybe put it all in a keg and cold crash again, then rebottle... Or should i just store it on the fridge an let the hops rest on the bottom of bottles? my problem with the second option is im afraid that too much of the hops will be on the glass when the bottle is served.

Yes, i was thinking it, i had a lot of care trying to not oxidize it on bottling... Think will just do the patience thing (im not good at it, so i need the practice)

Definitely don't do the rebottling thing, it'll oxidize any neipa to death. I've give those bottles a few more days of warm conditioning, then use time and cold to drop the particulates to the bottom....

Cheers!

+1. That hop burn should dissipate and 100% agree that 02 exposure would ruin it. Growlers from a local brew pub (or beer distributor here) is a great solution to buy time while your current home brew is conditioning and your next brew is in the works.

I'd go for just leaving them alone till everything settles to the bottom. Might be tomorrow or it might be several weeks.

Usually even with my brown bottles I can hold them up to the light and tell when the beer is murky, hazy or clear. The more stuff suspended in the beer the more the light will diffuse.

Ok, just to update this, apparently i was just overreacting, the bottle that made me desperate was the last one that i filled, so it clearly carried a lot of the trub hops with it. Opened another bottle, and is totally different, still got a slight harsh, but very little, and the beer is nice, with a lot of sweet aromas from amarillo hops
just to illustrate, here are pictures of the beer from first and the second bottles...

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-02-24 at 18.06.45.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-02-24 at 18.06.45.jpeg
    81.5 KB · Views: 0
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-02-26 at 12.58.10.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-02-26 at 12.58.10.jpeg
    110.3 KB · Views: 0
Back