Bottle yeast harvesting: age difference in bottles ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clone63

Reaction score
I'm going after hefeweizen yeast and have a bottle of Schneider Weisse from a couple months ago. I intend to buy 2 or 3 more a few days prior to harvesting. Should I toss in the older bottle's dregs as well? I don't see what would be wrong with that, it just wouldn't be offering the viability of the newer ones. Thought I'd ask for discussion's sake since I didn't find an answer.

I would check to see if there are dates on the bottles. You never know, the one you've already got might actually be from the same batch anyway depending on how fast they move beer at your store.

EDIT: Personally I would keep all the yeast separate at first and if the spent wort from your starters tastes ok then maybe blend them. If you're intent on mixing them right away I don't know that you'll need the extra bottle anyway, hopefully you'll get plenty of yeast without it.

You certianly could toss them in if you want. Won't hurt.

I generally step up Bells yeast with dregs from 3 bottles. I start out with only a cup of 1.030 wort. Then 3 cups @ 1.040, and then 2 quarts @ 1.040. Seems to work well. It does take 6 - 7 days though to go through the steps.

Latest posts

Back