Bottle harvested yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgoehner

Reaction score
Quick question, my first batch of homebrew I used the Wyeast Thames Valley and would really like to harvest it to recreate the batch. It has been 7 months since I brewed it and it has been refrigerated for a couple of weeks. I would like to harvest it and then store until ready. Is making a starter and following the harvesting instructions, and then "washing" the yeast better than leaving it in the bottles?

Quick question, my first batch of homebrew I used the Wyeast Thames Valley and would really like to harvest it to recreate the batch. It has been 7 months since I brewed it and it has been refrigerated for a couple of weeks. I would like to harvest it and then store until ready. Is making a starter and following the harvesting instructions, and then "washing" the yeast better than leaving it in the bottles?

I would think so. It would get the yeast away from the hops and alcohol that stress them out and also getting them into boiled and cooled water (low in oxygen) would help them stay dormant and thus happier for longer. I would harvest the dregs from a few of your bottles into ~25 mL of 1.020 wort. Wait for the little mini krausen to rise and fall then step it up to 250mL and then 1-1.5L.

Latest posts

Back