Bottle Conditioning w/ WLP029

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbay76

Reaction score
Hey All,
I am brewing an Am Wheat right now using WLP029 and the room is stinky with sulfur. I was planning on bottle conditioning the beer at d14 of primary and am now worried ha the sulfur smell I am noticing during primary will be present when I use the yeast with priming sugar to naturally carbonate the bottled beer. Anyone have any experience with this? Am I screwed? ANy hints on how to deal with this?
Thanks
J
:mug:

My experience with this yeast has led me to believe that it needs time, lots of time. I'd give it another week in primary before bottling. Then once bottled it may produce some more sulphur during conditioning, but if you let it age for a few more weeks, especially at a low temperature, it will clean up nicely.

I try to store the beers I make with this yeast between 5 and 10 C for five to six weeks before I serve them. If you have the patience, it will be worth the wait.

Sometimes after bottling the beer is not quite what you had expected. But most bottlers on this forum would agree time can help a bunch. I have had a batch or two that tasted "funny" -- I put them away for a month or two and they were much better.

ButchV12

http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/homebrew_strains.html

Keep this link. It will help you a great deal regarding what to expect with certain yeast strains. Read White Labs info and the user reviews.

You're using a Kolsch yeast that naturally puts out sulfur smells during fermentation. Assuming your sanitation is solid, RDWHAHB,the beer will lose that sulfur smell with a bit of age.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back