Bottle conditioning temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoomzilla

Reaction score
I haven't bottled in a while, but recently started in order to get my beer to homebrew club meetings in it's most carbonated state. I have three different beers bottled and I put them upstairs where it's warmer. Turns out, it's an oven up there. Probably 85F. One of them is a scotch ale that had been carbing for a few weeks in much cooler temps, one is actually a wine cooler, and one is my first successful DIPA that I am really looking forward to showing off. It's been there since I bottled it and I'm assuming that the yeast doing their work at 85F, even if it's just for bottle conditioning, will have the same effect as fermenting too hot. Is this correct? Does anyone have any experience with this particular issue? I'll try to hold off drinking the delicious kegged version until next week's meeting, but my resolve is weak.

While it certainly won't be the same as fermenting too hot, I think 85F is a bit too warm for bottle conditioning. Some people think it doesn't matter, but my experience has been that I get better results by conditioning at a temp not much above standard fermentation temps. If you want it to condition faster, add fresh yeast at bottling time instead of upping the temp is my advice. Do with that what you will.

But, since that ship has sailed, try to get it somewhere around the same temp you fermented at. Let it do its thing, and if it's simply not ready in time, you have the kegged version to fall back on.

Thanks for the info. I brought them down into cooler temps. If nothing else its a good experiment.

I've had the bottles condition a bit faster by maybe a couple days at 85F or so. But that can be altered a bit by moving them to a cooler spot like you did. At least, in my experiences. It doesn't seem to harm them much, if at all. A bit more conditioning time in the cooler spot won't hurt.:mug:

Back