Bottle Conditioning Temperature -- 70 or 80?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FSBrewer

Reaction score
I just bottled a Brewer's Best Kölsch kit last night (bought this one at a local HB supply store while waiting impatiently for my AHS kits to arrive!). I fermented it in the basement which is in the 70-74 degree range. I'm wondering if I should keep the bottles down there for conditioning at that temperature, or bring them upstairs where the temp will range between 75 and 80. Or perhaps it doesn't make a lick of difference?

I would just leave them where it is more convenient for you. Upstairs in the higher temperature may make them condition a little faster but not significantly faster. I would also opt for the space where the temperature swing, high to low, is least. I don't know if this will really make any difference, it just seems best.

Temperature doesn't matter as much during conditioning as in initial fermentation. Just keep the bottle's temp above that particular yeast's minimum to prevent stalling & they'll be fine. Basement temp range sounds perfect to me.

Back