Bottle Conditioned Beers: Avoiding Sedimemt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IL1kebeer

Reaction score
Looking for some creative ways that people avoid sediment in large bottles (750 ml or 22oz).

Whenever I enjoy a nice sour or bottle conditioned barleywine in a large bottle I pour into a snifter or tulip. This will give me a little less than 3/4ths of the bottle in 1 pour. An hour or so later when I'm done with the glass the next pour will obviously have sediment since its been roused from the first pour and sitting out for an hour.

Just looking here for some creative ways that people try to work around this. One I have in mind is to just pour 2 glasses and drink the second when I'm done with the first. This is not my favorite idea but I guess that it works. Any suggestions?

When racking I hate wasting, so I pour the truby whatever through a coffee filter thats afixed to a glass. Its still not as clean tasting but it enables me to monitor flavor without subtracting from the racked beverage.

then again anything more than yeast clinging to the bottom of bottles seems unusual, Good Luck!

I should have been more clear. I'm talking about commercial beers. Anything that I homebrew goes into my keg so I don't have to worry about sediment.

I typically dont have a problem with this. I just pour gently and typically only leave a few milliliters at the bottom. I guess you could also just pour out two glasses right away. This is exactly what I did tonight with my cuvee-brut. Poured two snifters 3/4 full gently, laid the rest down. Pours a second for myself from the remains and everything stayed in the bottle. Its just like pouring wine. I find the more aggressive the pour, the more the bubbles kick up sediment. If you want a true BJCP pour, just pour gently from higher above the glass for the last few ounces to create the head and release aromatics.

Sorry, I know that probably wasn't much help.

pkrath84 said:
I typically dont have a problem with this. I just pour gently and typically only leave a few milliliters at the bottom. I guess you could also just pour out two glasses right away. This is exactly what I did tonight with my cuvee-brut. Poured two snifters 3/4 full gently, laid the rest down. Pours a second for myself from the remains and everything stayed in the bottle. Its just like pouring wine. I find the more aggressive the pour, the more the bubbles kick up sediment. If you want a true BJCP pour, just pour gently from higher above the glass for the last few ounces to create the head and release aromatics.

Sorry, I know that probably wasn't much help.

Maybe I pour too aggressively. I'll try being gentle with my next bottle and see how it goes.

Why not pour what is left in the bottle into a second glass when you pour the 1st glass or get a bigger tulip?

When I drink a bomber, I'll usually pour ~1/2 of it into a glass, then quickly cap the bottle and put it in the fridge. I'll drink the other half a day later, or maybe 2 days later. I do that all the time for big beers, like 10% stouts. Anyway, if you cap it and put it in the fridge, it will keep the CO2 from bubbling out and kicking up all the sediment. An hour or so later, you should get a decent pour, and the beer won't be flat (or warm).

It’s a two person job. You need help.

I’m absolutely amazed that I need to point this out.

I’m fundamentally opposed to bombers; bigger bottles should cost less per volume than the regular ones.

If a beer is too damn special too come out in a six pack, I’m backing away. It’s going to have to be extra cute to get my money.

Maybe it’s a hipster thing.

Back