Bottle Carbonation in lower temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foghorn

Reaction score
I finished a flavored stout with Jameson (Irish car bomb), volleyball group loves them...don't ask! It has been about 1 1/2 months (brewed on 11/13) and the last bottle I opened had a barely perceivable CO2 release and no carbonation in the beer. Which by the way tastes just like the shot! Now for the technical information I did an all grain batch for 5 gallons.
7 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
3 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM)
6.4 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)
4.0 oz Black Barley (Stout) (500.0 SRM)

My OG was off a bit at 1.050 should be 1.055. I used Nottingham dry yeast and worked wonders as my FG was way low at 1.003 after 2 weeks in the primary(11/25). I then racked to a secondary for another week(12/2). Now here is where it got a bit funky as I did not have any corn sugar so I used table sugar(corn sugar at 3.5 oz x.91= 3.2 oz of table sugar). So they have been sitting in the bottle for almost 4 weeks.

So while writing this something clicked but not sure how to fix! With the FG being so low, maybe the I should have cranked up the priming sugar a bit more? Maybe not enough sugar for the little yeasties?

But my initial question was the temperature for the carbonation in the bottle; I keep them in the basement and being in NY we have had a cold snap and the basement temps dip into to lower to mid 60's, so it is low when it is usually 69-71. Will that fact damage the yeast, being as they have been dormant for 5-6 weeks? Can I just bring them up stairs and let them warm up for a week, I assume so?

If that does not work what options would I have? I am still a newbie but I have learned usually time heals most things, but I have never had 4 or more weeks to carb.

Thanks to all!

Temps in the 60s should be fine. It won't hurt the yeast, just slow it down a little. It might take a little longer to fully carbonate. Chill a bottle in the fridge for a day or two and serve. If the carbonation is still low, bring the bottles upstairs for a week.

So long as you don't freeze the beer and make popcicles out of it, the yeast will be OK.

low 60s should be OK for Notty, and it should be fine. Do you have the beer on the basement floor? The floor can be a lot colder than the room, and will affect the beer temp more than the air temp.

Just move the beer to a warm room, and in 2 weeks everything should be OK.

No, you do not need to add more priming sugar because the FG finished low.

Well I know it won't go below 60, but Ill bring it upstairs and throw 1 in the fridge! Thanks for confirming my thoughts!

Back