Bottle carbing with frozen concentrates

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evilgrin

Reaction score
How much of the can per gallon of dry fermented cider?

Example: Old Orchard FAJC 12oz can
27 grams of sugar per serving
6 servings per container
162 grams of sugar per 12oz can

162 grams is 0.357149 lbs.

This FJC has no sugar added so its.....all fructose and not sucrose or dextrose?

I have two ciders that are ready to bottle carb. One is a ginger apple and the other is just apple. Just looking for a nice fizz and possibly using 1 liter plastic seltzer bottles for a test run.

I've read here that 1 can for 5 gallons is good. But be aware that the published sugar content is an average and will vary can to can and also by brand. I've seen quite a range of variations when using it for sweetening. A safe level is about 2 gravity points (for about 2.5 volumes of co2).

1 ounce/28 g sugar per gallon of cider that is fermented dry (!) and still has active yeast will give you a really nice fizz on your cider. Just made sure it was really done - sometimes, depending on the yeast, it can kinda stall out for some reason or another. Sometimes lack of nutrients. So if your cider is only at 1.010 and you add that ounce of sugar via frozen apple juice concentrate, it can get a bit overdone. Even bottle bomby....

Hmmm

12oz/6=2oz

2oz or 60ml of FAJC=27 grams of sugar

So roughly 7 grams of sugar or 15ml or 1/2oz of FAJC for a 1 liter bottle. (with some headspace)

I generally use one 12oz can of FAJC of the Walmart house brand per 5 gallons to prime with, but I don't like really fizzy ciders.

Back