Bottle after ten days?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steveruch

Reaction score
It's been well over 15 years since I brewed an extract batch, so I'm a bit (lot!) fuzzy about timing.
I did a two gallon batch and it's been at 1.010 from day three till day eight (today).
I'm thinking day ten would be good to bottle.
?

I've bottled at day 7, day 10, day 21, day 30, day 63. They all make beer and any work fine if the FG is stable and near the expected FG. Two things change with more time. Trub settles out and compacts so you don't have as much sediment getting into the bottles. I had 1/4 inch of sediment when I bottled on day 7. Those bottled later had much less.

The second thing that happens with time is the beer matures. Not very important with a wheat beer, they don't gain much maturity. Darker or higher alcohol beers do need some maturing time and that can happen in the bottle or in the fermenter.

Short answer is yes.

Letting it sit can help clean up the beer of some off flavors produced during fermentation. It can also give the yeast time to drop out of suspension to clarify your beer. It can also give your beer time to age a bit which can help depending on the style.

So, can you bottle it? Yeah, probably. Will it be better if you wait just a bit? Possibly?

Back